School of Cultures, Languages and Area Studies

American and Canadian Studies year abroad

Which courses include an integrated year abroad?

Our four-year single and joint honours courses in American Studies include an integrated year abroad. These are:

You will spend year three of your course abroad.

Transferring onto a four-year course

Joint honours students from the Department of American and Canadian Studies can apply to transfer onto the International Study programme, if places are available at the end of year one. Places are awarded on an academically competitive basis.

The courses which allow this are:

America is so much more of a culture shock than you’d imagine. They’re so similar to us in so many ways, but still so different. It was a great experience to be able to go there. It’s the reality behind what you’re studying.

Where can I go for my year abroad?


If you are taking American and Canadian Studies (Study Abroad) BA...

Your year abroad will usually be spent in North America. Our partner institutions reflect the diversity of North America, in terms of both geography and educational approach. We ensure that all are able to maintain high academic standards.

We offer partner institutions in:

  • Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • Georgia
  • Indiana
  • Louisiana
  • New Mexico
  • Oregon 
  • South Carolina
  • Vermont
  • Virginia
  • Washington DC
  • Wisconsin

Canadian locations

  • Burnaby (British Columbia)
  • Ottawa
  • Toronto

If you are taking American Studies and Latin American Studies BA...

Your third year is spent in Spain and/or Latin America doing one of the following:

  • studying at a university
  • working as a language teaching assistant
  • doing a work placement.

If you intend to carry on with Portuguese after year two, you may also spend the year in Portugal and/or Brazil.

Find out more about our partner institutions


Support for your year abroad


You will be supported through the study abroad process by your school academic adviser and a team of administrative staff.

Support is provided through online resources, group meetings and presentations, one to one sessions and university-wide pre-departure activities. 


Disclaimer: The opportunities listed here are correct as at the time of publishing. Please be aware that study abroad options may change at any time for a number of reasons, including curriculum developments, changes to arrangements with partner universities, travel restrictions or other circumstances outside of the university’s control. Every effort will be made to update this information as quickly as possible should a change occur.

Please note: In order to study abroad you will need to achieve the relevant academic requirements as set by the university and meet the selection criteria of both the university and the partner institution. The partner institution is under no obligation to accept you even if you do meet the relevant criteria.

School of Cultures, Languages and Area Studies

University Park
Nottingham, NG7 2RD

Contact us