Candidates for the PGCEi should normally:
- hold an approved first degree with at least second class honours (or equivalent), or an approved professional qualification deemed to be equivalent to a second class honours degree
- be an established educator with day-to-day access to a computer and the internet and regular access to a classroom context
English language requirements
If your first language is not English, you must achieve:
- an overall score on the IELTS test of at least 6.5 with no less than 6.0 in each element
Once you have applied, you will need to provide the following supporting documents:
- copy of your degree certificate
- copy of your degree transcript
- copy of your English test certificate - if English is not your first language and you have one
We must have these documents by the 20th of the month previous to the month the course starts, for example if the course starts 1 July, we must have your documents by 20 June.
Degree certificate and/or transcript
You may have already provided a scanned copy of your transcript or degree certificate for us to assess your application. Once you have received an offer letter, you must post certified copies of your degree documents (see your offer letter for specific details). If your degree documents were submitted in a different name, you will be required to provide evidence of your change of name. For example, this might be a marriage certificate or notification of your change of name by deed poll.
We can accept either an academic or a work-related reference. References can be emailed to us directly by your referee from their institution or company email address. The reference can either be submitted on our reference form or we can accept a letter on their institution/company letter-headed paper. References can also be posted. Please note we cannot accept references from your friends or family.
Proof of English language
All international, non-native English speakers are required to provide proof of English language. We need an IELTS test result which must be dated within two years of your start date.
View course venues
and how to apply
Important note: Qualified Teacher Status in England and Wales is conferred by the National College for Teaching and Leadership on behalf of the Secretary of State for Education (England) and the Minister for Education and Skills (Wales) not by universities. This PGCEi does not therefore offer a licence to teach in the UK or elsewhere.