Candidates for the PGCEi should normally:
- hold an approved first degree with at least second class honours (or equivalent), or an approved professional qualification deemed to be equivalent to a second class honours degree
- be an established educator with day-to-day access to a computer and the internet and regular connections to an educational context (including online learning) for the duration of the programme. Please ensure you give details of the link you have to an educational context in your application. This can form part of your personal statement or can be detailed in a CV which you upload.
English language requirements
If your first language is not English, you must achieve:
- an overall score on the IELTS test of at least 6.5 with no less than 6.0 in each element
Once you have applied, you will need to provide the following supporting documents:
- copy of your degree certificate
- copy of your degree transcript
- copy of your English test certificate - if English is not your first language and you have one
We must have these documents by the 20th of the month previous to the month the course starts, for example if the course starts 1 July, we must have your documents by 20 June.
Degree certificate and/or transcript
You must provide a scanned copy of your degree certificate and final transcript for us to assess your application. If your degree documents were submitted in a different name, you will be required to provide evidence of your change of name. For example, this might be a marriage certificate or notification of your change of name by deed poll.
We can accept either an academic or a work-related reference. References can be emailed to us directly by your referee from their institution or company email address. The reference can either be submitted on our reference form or we can accept a letter on their institution/company letter-headed paper. References can also be posted. Please note we cannot accept references from your friends or family.
Proof of English language
All international, non-native English speakers are required to provide proof of English language. We need an IELTS test result which must be dated within two years of your start date.
Please see the policy on minimum English language entry requirements, which provides further information on acceptable equivalent qualifications.
Once you receive an offer letter from our Admissions Team, it will detail any outstanding conditions. You will need to meet these conditions before you are eligible to register for the course. You will also find details of what your conditions are on your MyNottingham portal.
Please note that this course does not give Qualified teacher Status (QTS).
QTS is conferred by the Teaching Regulation Authority (an executive agency of the Department for Education) on behalf of the Secretary of State for Education (England) or by the Education Workforce Council on behalf of the Minister for Education and Skills (Wales).
This PGCEi does not therefore offer a licence to teach in the UK or elsewhere.