Person-Centred Experiential Counselling for Depression Training (PCE-CfD)
PCE-CfD is an innovative development in counselling and psychotherapy. The qualification is recognised by the NHS and enhances career prospects for qualified therapists.
PCE-CfD training enables therapists to understand the requirements of working within an NHS environment. It deepens understanding of the connection between research, theory and practice.
Research into person-centred practice that engages with emotional processing has shown to be effective with clients who are depressed. At Nottingham we are creating a community network of PCE-CfD therapists.
We accept applications from self-funded person-centred counsellors and psychotherapists as well as those already employed by IAPT.
We host a range of free refresher days for delegates as well as support for PCE-CfD supervisors.
PCE-CfD supervision course
Your tutors are:
Please email us if you have any questions.
PCE-CfD training course details
- 30 hours taught* (including pre reading)
- Between 4-18 months post-course practice
- Qualification period aims to be an average of one year post end of the taught element. This will vary.
* The course is split over multiple days and you must attend all sessions. Attendance may be face-to-face on Jubilee Campus or online - see course dates for confirmation of delivery for specific days.
- have a qualification in person-centred counselling
- have two years' post-qualification experience
- have evidence of working with mental health
- be working towards accreditation
Most people who complete the training are funded by their employer, however we are open to self-funded applicants. Please enquire if you are self-funded.
- The fee for training in CfD is £3,300
- The fee for training to become a CfD supervisor is £2,400
- Courses are currently blended with a face-to-face element on the university's Jubilee Campus, and some online delivery - see course dates for specific details
All funding must be secured before applying. We require confirmation from the funder that the fee payment will be made if the application is successful.
Pre-course reading material covers:
- working with the requirements of IAPT (forms/risk/assessment/competence framework)
- orientation to the PCE-CfD competence framework
- the person-centred experiential psychotherapy scale (PCEPS)
We encourage you to ensure you have studied this material before attending.
All delegates are registered with an internet account and are able to access the University e-library and online learning platform - Moodle - where papers and learning materials can be accessed.
The course involves:
- extensive experiential skills work
- a critical engagement with the medical model of depression
- suicide and risk assessment
- theoretical principles and values of person-centred therapy
- working with emotional processes and the PCE conceptualisation of depression
- personal values and practice
- supervision and clinical practice
We encourage a peer supportive environment and offer a person-centred training environment.
Therapists are formatively assessed by submitting a 20-minute video that is filmed on the final day. This is not passed or failed, but is used for feedback. Those who complete the 30-hour training will be placed with a PCE-CfD Supervisor.
The full qualification is achieved by submitting a further four recordings of client work and completing 80 hours of supervised PCE-CfD practice. Six submissions are allowed in total.
The supervision costs and assessments are included in the course fee. We expect therapists to become fully qualified within a year of starting the training.
Extensions and interruption of study can be applied for and are detailed in the course handbook which you will receive when you join the course.
|Course dates||Delivery||Application deadline|
|25, 26 January
1, 8, 9 February 2023
|Face-to-face in Nottingham
||19 December 2022
|1, 8, 15, 22 February and
1 March 2023
||2 January 2023
|2, 3, 9, 16, 17 March 2023
2, 3 March - face-to-face in Nottingham
9, 16, 17 March - online
|30 January 2023
Area: Midlands and East of England
Location: School of Education, University of Nottingham, Jubilee Campus, Nottingham
Training application (MS form)
All applications will be assessed to ensure participants have met all of the entry criteria and places will only be confirmed after applications have been assessed. Once your place is confirmed you will receive further information on your course.
Please take note of our cancellation policy
We also offer a PCE-CfD supervision course.
PCE-CfD refresher days
Refresher days are for those who have already completed the five-day taught element of PCE-CfD training with the University of Nottingham. They are free to attend.
Refresher days will take place on Jubilee Campus, 10.30am-4pm.
Numbers are limited so registration is essential.
Next refresher day to be arranged.
I thoroughly found the course experiential. I found the pace and content enjoyable. It felt safe to make errors. I enjoyed the democratic approach of the tutor. Very refreshing and real.