School of English

Student Support

Studying at University can be exciting and enjoyable but it can also bring challenges. However, there are lots of points of contact, both academic and pastoral, to support you during your studies in the School of English, to help you to make the most of your time here. This page contains further information on the support available to you.

Mentors and Tutors

Personal Tutor


All undergraduate students in the School of English are allocated a Personal Tutor in the School. You will meet with your Personal Tutor at several points each academic year and they will help you to develop your academic and professional skills throughout your degree, and will offer support if you are having any personal problems. Your Personal Tutor will also work with you to review your progress on your degree and help you to identify and achieve your personal goals.

Peer mentor 


All new undergraduate and postgraduate taught students can opt into our peer mentoring scheme, to be allocated a peer mentor. Your peer mentor will be a student in a higher year and they will help you settle into life at the University, provide advice on the transition to university-level study and help you access support if needed.


What does personal tutoring involve?

Personal Tutors are academic members of staff who offer support and guidance in:

  • professional development - e.g. careers, volunteering, placement opportunities

  • academic development - e.g. essay writing, time management, revision

  • pastoral and welfare needs - e.g. personal problems, health issues

  • academic community

All Single Honours English undergraduate students take Academic Community, a year-long module in their first year. The module introduces topics and concepts relevant to studying English and studying at University, with team-taught lectures every fortnight and small tutorials led by your Personal Tutor in the intervening weeks. The module also helps tutees to get to know their Personal Tutors, and is assessed by a presentation and a portfolio of work.

International students

International students may have slightly different needs, particularly in the early months as they settle into the University and life in Nottingham. All international students will be allocated a Personal Tutor who has an understanding of the specific needs of international students and who can offer specific support and can be available for more frequent Personal Tutor meetings initially.


What does the scheme involve?
  • Students meet regularly in small groups with their peer mentor
  • Mentors are on hand to guide students through the process of settling in, submitting work, learning how to use campus resources
  • Peer mentors are an additional source of support, alongside personal tutors
  • Students have the opportunity to become peer mentors themselves in their second year

Mentors are available from the end of August, so they can help you to get ready to arrive in September, as well to provide ongoing support once you are here. 

Request a mentor

We try and match you to someone based on your interests as well as the course you are studying. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact


Wider University Support

Support is also available across the University for a wide range of student needs.

Student services

Student Services provide a range of support, information and specialist services to enhance your student experience in areas including:

  • any disability, learning difficulty, or specific support needs that you might have
  • financial support
  • housing
  • money
  • education/University-related queries

Academic Skills Team

Studying at university builds upon skills learnt at school but students often benefit from additional guidance to develop these skills to university level. The Academic Skills Team therefore support students in developing the skills they need to be more confident in their studies. They work with a range of Schools and Faculties on programmes to help students in areas such as academic writing, time management, use of feedback, and working in groups.

Medical, Counselling and Faith Support

Students are encouraged to register at the University's Medical Centre and also have access to the University Counselling and Chaplaincy services, should they need them.

Disability Liaison Officer (DLO)

The DLO is an academic member of staff who is available for students who need teaching and assessment support for any physical or learning disability. The DLO can advise about the university's arrangements to put in place reasonable adjustments and personalised support plans. Your personal tutors will be able to help you to access such support through the School's DLO.

Further information

For more information on the support described on this page and more, please visit our support page for current students.

School of English

Trent Building
The University of Nottingham
University Park, Nottingham NG7 2RD

telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 5900