Ordinance X: Powers of Council
Subject to the Charter and the Statutes the Council shall in addition to all other powers vested in them have the following powers:-
- To elect a Chair and a Vice-Chair.
- To appoint a Chancellor.
- To elect the Pro-Chancellors and the Treasurer.
- To appoint the members of the Council as required under Statute 6.
- To appoint the President and Vice-Chancellor and Registrar in accordance with Statutes and Ordinances and to delegate to the Executive Board the appointment of Pro-Vice-Chancellors and Faculty Pro-Vice-Chancellors, Professors, Associate Professors, Assistant Professors, Chief Financial Officer, Chief Digital Officer and such other Officers and Staff of the University as may be found desirable.
- To delegate to Senate the appointment of External Examiners.
- To confer subject to conditions prescribed by Ordinances XXVI and XXVIII the title of Emeritus Professor or Honorary Professor, Associate Professor, Assistant Professor or Fellow of the University.
- To draft and enact Statutes as and when it sees fit provided that no Statutes shall be made without giving the Senate an opportunity of reporting thereon to the Council.
- Subject to the Charter and the Statutes to make Ordinances for any matters in respect of which Ordinances are authorised to be made.
- To make Regulations for any purpose for which Regulations are or may be authorised to be made.
- To govern, manage and regulate the finances, accounts, investments, property, business and all affairs whatsoever of the University and for that purpose to appoint bankers and any other Officers or agents whom it may deem expedient to appoint.
- To invest any moneys belonging to the University including any unapplied income in such stocks funds fully paid shares or securities as the Council shall from time to time think fit whether authorised by the general law for the investment of trust moneys or not and whether within the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland or not or in the purchase of freehold or leasehold hereditaments in the United Kingdom including rents with the like power of varying such investments from time to time provided that the Council may in its discretion retain as long as it shall think fit any investment given or bequeathed to the University although not coming within the description of investments authorised as aforesaid.
- To sell buy exchange lease and accept leases of real and personal property on behalf of the University.
- To provide the buildings premises furniture and apparatus and other means needed for carrying on the work of the University.
- To borrow money on behalf of the University and for that purpose if the Council think fit to mortgage all or any part of the property of the University whether real or personal unless the conditions of any Will Deed or Gift or other similar instrument are thereby contravened or give such other security whether upon real or personal property or otherwise as the Council think fit.
- To enter into vary carry out and cancel contracts on behalf of the University.
- To receive and consider reports on teaching and the welfare and development of students.
- To promote and to make provision for research within the University and to require reports from time to time on such research.
- To review amend refer back control or disallow any act of the Senate required under these Statutes to be reported to the Council and to give directions thereon to the Senate.
- To regulate the conferment of Honorary Degrees subject to procedures prescribed by Ordinance.
- To entertain adjudicate upon and if thought fit redress any grievance of the Officers Staff Students Former Students and Graduates who may feel aggrieved. Council may prescribe by Regulation the grounds on which and the procedures by which a grievance is to be presented.
- To select a Seal Arms and a Mace for the University and have the sole custody and use of the Seal.
- To exercise all such powers as are or may be conferred on the Council by The Charter, Statutes, Ordinances and Regulations and to carry The Charter, Statutes, Ordinances and Regulations into effect.
(amendments approved 2015, July 2017 and November 2019)
Return to Ordinances list