You can either work through the example using the Fractional Calculator or use the step-by-step example to work out the information needed.
You will need the following information before using the calculator or going through the example below manually:
- Hours of work in the normal full-time working week, APM/R&T/O&F Job Families, Levels 1-3 (4+ equals a nominal) work 36.25 hours.
- Number of annual leave days entitlement, all Job Families Levels 1-3 = 25 days, Level 4+ = 30 days.
- Number of contracted hours per week to be worked.
- Number of Designated Working Weeks excluding any Bank Holidays/University Closure Days. If there is a Bank Holiday in the Designated Working Week and the fractional worker is not required to work the Bank Holiday, 0.2 of a week will need to be deducted from the Designated Working Weeks. For example, if the two May Bank Holidays, which fall on a Monday, are in the working pattern for the fractional worker, 0.4 of a week will need to be deducted.
- Full-time salary for the post.
Example 1 – STARTER (Including calculation and step-by-step guide)
An Administration Assistant, APM level 1 is working 30 hours per week part-time for 31 Designated Working Weeks (there are two Bank Holidays during this period). The full-time salary for the post is £13,085.
Please work through the following steps detailed below.
- Hours of working in the full-time normal working week = 36.25.
- Holiday entitlement (full-time equivalent) = 25 days entitlement + 8 Bank Holidays + 5 University Closure Days = 38 days.
- Hours of work per week = 30.
- Designated Working Weeks = 30.6 (0.4 weeks deducted for two Bank Holidays as above).
- Full-time equivalent salary = £13,085.
From this information we can work out the pro-rata salary and holiday entitlement for the fractional worker.
Step 1 – Full-time Equivalent (FTE)
Finally, the total working hours per year for a full-timer (excluding leave hours) = 1885 (B - working hours) minus 275.5 (C - holiday hours) = 1609.5 hours (D)
The full-time equivalent (FTE) for the post is worked out as follows:
To work out the full-time equivalent (FTE) take total hours per year (A) 918 and divide by (D) 1609.5 = 0.570 FTE
The holiday entitlement hours are calculated as follows:
- Holiday entitlement for fractional worker = 0.570 (FTE) x 275.5 (full-time holiday hours) = 157.1 hours
- 157.1 hours / 30 hours per week = 5.2 weeks for annual leave
Total contract length = 30.6 Designated Working Weeks plus 5.2 weeks holiday = (35.8) rounded to 36 weeks in total
To work out the pro-rata salary:
Please note that the calculator rounds up and down.
Last edited Dec 13, 2015