Manuscripts and Special Collections
   
   
  

Biography of Sir Hardolph Wasteneys, 4th Baronet (1675-1742) and his family

Hardolph Wasteneys was the son of Gervase Wasteneys of Headon, Nottinghamshire, and his wife Jane, daughter of Lionel Reresby.

He was created a baronet in 1622 and served as Sheriff of Nottinghamshire from 1635-1636.

The Wasteneys line became extinct on the death of the last baronet, Sir Hardolph Wasteneys, 4th Baronet, in 1742. The Headon estate, together with property in Lincolnshire brought by the 4th Baronet's wife Judith Johnson, passed to the baronet's great-niece Judith Laetitia Bury, and thence to her husband Anthony Eyre of Grove.  

Family

Sir Hardolph Wasteneys, 1st Baronet, married Jane, youngest daughter of Gervase Eyre Esq., of Newbold and Kiveton, and had:

  • Sir Hardolph Wasteneys, 2nd Baronet (c.1612-1673), Steward of East Retford, Sheriff of Nottinghamshire 1653, m Anne, dau. of Sir Thomas Chicheley of Wimpole, Cambridgeshire
  • John Wasteneys Esq., of Todwick, Yorkshire (d 1663), m -? Ireland of Lancashire, and had:
    • Sir Edmund Wasteneys, 3rd Baronet (d 1679), m Catherine, daughter and co-heir of Colonel William Sandys of Askham, Yorkshire, and had:
      • Sir Hardolph Wasteneys, 4th Baronet (1675-1742), M.P. for East Retford 1706, m in 1699 Judith (d 1727), daughter of Colonel Richard Johnson of Bilsby, Lincolnshire and niece of Thomas Johnson of Bilsby
      • Catherine Wasteneys (b 1676), m Captain Edward Hutchinson, son of Samuel Hutchinson of Boston, Lincolnshire, and had:
        • Catherine Hutchinson (b 1703), m 1stly in 1728 John Bury Esq. of Nottingham and Grange near Grantham, and m 2ndly in 1742 Robert Sutton Esq. of Scafton. From her first marriage she had:
          • Judith Laetitia Bury (1731-1800), m in 1755 Anthony Eyre Esq. of Grove

Archive Collections

  • Title deeds, settlements, wills and other papers relating to the Wasteneys family and their estates in Headon are part of the Eyre collection held in Manuscripts and Special Collections at the University of Nottingham.

 

Manuscripts and Special Collections

Kings Meadow Campus
Lenton Lane
Nottingham, NG7 2NR

telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 4565
fax: +44 (0) 115 846 8651
email: mss-library@nottingham.ac.uk