Manuscripts and Special Collections
   
   
  

Timeline

This timeline is an overview of events related to the nonconformist churches in Nottingham, Mansfield and Retford whose records are held at The University of Nottingham

 Date Event
1654

Establishment of Presbyterian classis in Nottingham by John Whitlock and William Reynolds, formerly of St Mary's, and John Barrett, formerly of St Peter's, Nottingham

1660

Presbyterian classis shut down on restoration of the monarch

1662-1663

Ejection of Presbyterian ministers from their livings. Nottingham ministers move to Mansfield and begin to hold meetings

1689

Foundation of Castle Gate Presbyterian Chapel, Nottingham

1690

Death of Robert Porter, minister of the Presbyterian congregation in Mansfield (fore-runner of the Old Meeting House)

1690-1691

John Whitlock, William Reynolds and John Barrett return from Mansfield to Nottingham and found High Pavement Presbyterian Chapel

1702

Erection of the Old Meeting House, Mansfield

1775

Congregation of General Baptists formed in Nottingham (fore-runner of Stoney Street Baptist Church)

1788

Foundation of High Pavement Day Schools

1795

Missionary society (later the London Missionary Society) founded by the Independent, Anglican and Presbyterian Churches

1798

First annual meeting of Presbyterian ministers of Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, and South Yorkshire [fore-runner of the North Midland Presbyterian and Unitarian Association]

1799

Stoney Street General Baptist Chapel built on Plumptre Place, Nottingham

1802

Meetings of Presbyterian ministers of Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, and South Yorkshire are expanded to include lay representatives

1805

Rebuilding of High Pavement Chapel

1807

Foundation of the High Pavement Chapel Provident Friendly Society

1808

An Independent congregation (fore-runner of Retford Congregational Church) buys the chapel in Union Street, Retford

1811

Opening of Sunday School buildings at Stoney Street General Baptist Church

1817

Rev. Robert Smith and part of the congregation of Stoney Street General Baptist Church break away to found a new church on Broad Street

1823

Foundation of St James’s Chapel as a daughter church of Castle Gate Congregational Church

1827

Foundation of Friar Lane Chapel, Nottingham

1829

Opening of Friar Lane Chapel buildings

1836

Foundation of the Bloomsgrove Mission in Radford by Castle Gate Congregational Church

1849

Rev. George Alexander Syme and part of the congregation of Stoney Street General Baptist Chapel break away to form a new church (fore-runner of Milton Street General Baptist Chapel)

1851

Erection of General Baptist Chapel on Milton Street

1851

Sale of the Union Street Congregational Chapel, Retford, and construction of new church buildings on Carolgate

1860

Sunday School established by High Pavement Unitarian chapel in the St Ann’s Well area of Nottingham (fore-runner of Christ Church, Peas Hill)

1861

Foundation of Thorneywood Congregational Church as a daughter church of Castle Gate Congregational Church

1863

New Castle Gate Congregational Church buildings erected

1864

Opening of Christ Church, Peas Hill (Unitarian chapel)

1866

Foundation of St Andrew’s Presbyterian Church

1866

Foundation of the Nottingham Congregational Institute theological training college

1867

Old Radford Mission comes under the control of Castle Gate Congregational Church

1870

Opening of new church buildings for St Andrew’s Presbyterian Church in Belgrave Square, Nottingham

1870

Foundation of St Ann’s Well Road Congregational Church as a daughter church of Castle Gate

1870

Enlargement of the Old Meeting House, Mansfield

1874

Foundation of Queen’s Walk Congregational Church as a mission church of Friar Lane Chapel

1874

Demolition of High Pavement Chapel in advance of rebuilding

1876

Opening of new High Pavement Chapel

1877

Enlargement of Retford Congregational Church, and construction of infants’ schoolroom

1880

Sale of St James’s Chapel and purchase of land on Park Hill Terrace by the congregation

1883

New Park Hill Congregational Church buildings opened

c.1883

Foundation of the Hyson Green Unitarian Christian Mission

1887

Closure of Stoney Street General Baptist Church

1894

Bloomsgrove Mission moves from Ronald Street to the corner of Norton Street and Denman Street in Radford

c.1894

Foundation of the Nottingham and Nottinghamshire of the London Missionary Society

1896

Foundation of St Columba’s Presbyterian Church as a daughter church of St Andrew’s Presbyterian Church

1899

Sale of Friar Lane Chapel

1899

Opening of schoolrooms at Friary Congregational Church, West Bridgford

1901

Opening of church buildings at Friary Congregational Church, West Bridgford

1901

Closure of Broad Street General Baptist Church. Congregation joins Milton Street General Baptist Church

1901

Noel Street Preaching Station in Hyson Green opened as a mission church of St Andrew’s Presbyterian Church

1904

Foundation of Norton Street Congregational Church by members of Castle Gate and the Bloomsgrove Mission

1906

Closure of the Hyson Green Unitarian Christian Mission

1912

Milton Street General Baptist Chapel closed and sold. New church (Mansfield Road Baptist Church) built on the corner of Gregory Boulevard and Sherwood Rise

1917

Norton Street Congregational Church expands by merger with the Old Radford Mission

c.1918

Establishment of the Presbytery of Nottingham

c.1921

Nottingham Congregational Institute changes its name to Paton Congregational College

1930

Paton Congregational College moves from Nottingham to Tollerton Hall

1932

Cessation of services at Christ Church, Peas Hill

1935

Closure of the Sunday School at Christ Church, Peas Hill

1940

Sale of Tollerton Hall by the Paton Congregational College

1946

Closure of St Columba’s Presbyterian Church; congregation merged with St Andrew’s Presbyterian Church

1946

Foundation of the Stanwell Players drama group at St Ann’s Well Road Congregational Church

1948

Paton Congregational College buys ‘The Cedars’ in Lenton and changes its name to Paton House

c.1955

Closure of Noel Street Presbyterian Church (formerly a mission)

1955

Establishment of Congregational Sunday School on the Clifton estate, Nottingham

1956

First Congregational church services at Clifton

1961

Opening of Clifton Congregational Church buildings

1966

London Missionary Society merges with the Commonwealth Missionary Society to form the Congregational Council for World Mission

1968

Closure of Thorneywood Congregational Church

1968

Paton Congregational College closes following a merger with the Northern Congregational College in Manchester

1970

Closure of St Ann’s Well Road Congregational Church; congregation merged with Castle Gate Congregational Church

1970

Closure of Queen’s Walk Congregational Church; congregation merged with Friary Congregational Church

after 1970

Closure of Retford Congregational Church

1972

United Reformed Church formed from merger of most English Presbyterian and Congregational churches

1972

Abolition of the Nottinghamshire Congregational Union and its Overseas Committee (formerly the Nottinghamshire Congregational Union County Missionary Sub-Committee, and before that the Nottingham Auxiliary of the London Missionary Society)

1972

Abolition of the Presbytery of Nottingham

1975

Merger of Castle Gate and St Andrew’s URC churches to form St Andrew’s-with-Castle Gate United Reformed Church

1977

Congregational Council for World Mission changes its name to the Council for World Mission

1979

Closure of Norton Street Congregational Church

c.1979

Closure of Park Hill Congregational Church

1980

Sale of old Castle Gate URC buildings to the Congregational Federation

1982

Sale of High Pavement Chapel; congregation move to other premises in the Lace Market

1991

Closure of the Stanwell Players drama group at St Andrew’s-with-Castle Gate URC

 

Next page: Further reading 

Manuscripts and Special Collections

Kings Meadow Campus
Lenton Lane
Nottingham, NG7 2NR

telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 4565
fax: +44 (0) 115 846 8651
email: mss-library@nottingham.ac.uk