Beginners' Mandarin - a free taster course
Anyone with an in interest in China and the Chinese language will benefit from our three-week Mandarin taster course, available in person and online.
This free course provides a brief introduction to the Chinese language, its scripts and sounds, and how words are formed. It will not only introduce the learners to some basic Mandarin, but also help them gain an insight into Chinese society and culture. The course assumes no previous experience of speaking Chinese.
Classes are offered both in-person and online for three consecutive weeks on the following dates:
Wednesday 8, 15 and 22 March, 5.15-6pm
Wednesday 8, 15 and 22 March, 12.30-1.15pm
On successful completion of the three sessions, students will be able to:
- demonstrate an awareness of the varieties of the Chinese language
- use Pinyin, the Mandarin phonetic system
- exchange simple greetings
- introduce themselves and a third party
- ask and respond to simple questions, order food etc.
- write some simple Chinese characters
- understand some basic Chinese etiquette and customs
How to register
Complete the Online Registration Form by 5:00pm Thursday 2 March 2023.
Places are offered on a first come first served basis. Limited places are available. Please register early to avoid disappointment.
Confirmation of registration, along with venue details for in-person lessons or ZOOM meeting instructions for online lessons will be emailed to all registered attendees on Friday 3 March.
For enquiries and further details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org