Detail from H. Moll’s Map of Nottinghamshire, 1724. Laxton is located just south of Tuxford
From East Midlands Special Collection Not1.B8 D24
In the early twelfth century Laxton was owned by Robert de Caux. He and his descendents were hereditary Keepers of the Royal Forests of Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire. Until 1227 Sherwood Forest was administered from Laxton Castle. Royalty and other important visitors stayed at Laxton.
North of the main street are the remains of the large and impressive Norman castle consisting of an earth motte, on which a tower or keep would have stood, a strongly-defended inner bailey, and a large outer bailey. It is possible that Laxton’s layout was deliberately planned during this period. The street plan is very regular. Behind the houses on the two main streets are long narrow crofts also accessed from parallel back lanes.
Detail from Mark Pierce’s map of Laxton, 1635, showing the main streets and castle site (MS 280)
The remaining earthworks around the inner bailey of Laxton Castle
The effigies of Adam de Everingham (d 1341) and his two wives, in Laxton church.
The wooden effigy of his second wife Margery (d 1336), on the left, is a very rare survival.
In the thirteenth century the manor of Laxton passed by marriage to the de Everingham family. In 1287 Robert de Everingham lost the Keepership. Soon afterwards the family moved permanently to their Yorkshire estates. Laxton Castle fell into ruins. The de Everinghams remained owners of the manor until the early fifteenth century when it passed to the Roos family, resident at Laxton. In the early sixteenth century they built a three-gabled manor house inside the inner bailey of the old castle. The house is shown on Mark Pierce’s 1635 map.
More: Mark Pierce's Map
Laxton: Farming in an Open Field Village home