It's very important to make sure you have the right documents and know what to expect when arriving at a UK airport to begin your course at Nottingham.

This page was last updated on 05 May 2022 at 14:30 (GMT)

Travel hygiene

Your safety and health is very important when you're travelling, especially following the Covid-19 pandemic. Here are our top tips:

  • If you have any symptoms of coronavirus, don't travel. Self-isolate and seek medical advice in your country until it's safe for you to travel
  • Bring masks or face coverings for your journey – you must wear this in airports and on some public transport, but it's a good idea to keep it on for the whole journey
  • Check the current rules or guidance for your country, airline and the airports you will travel through – there may be policies on where you should wear a mask and the distance to keep from other travellers
  • Wash or sanitise your hands thoroughly after touching any surfaces, especially the trays in airport security – our research has shown that these pick up more germs than any other surface in the airport

More safety and hygiene tips        UK government safe travel guide


Face mask

Arriving at a UK airport

The following information is provided to help you understand what you need to do to upon arrival in the UK and is adapted from guidance provided by Border Force, the UK's border control officials and UK Visas and Immigration.

  1. Make a note of your UK accommodation details, including the address and phone number, and carry this in your hand luggage – you will need this information when you complete your landing card on arrival in the UK; alternatively, you can provide the University address and phone number: University of Nottingham, University Park, Nottingham, NG7 2RD, +44 (0)115 951 5247
  2. Complete your landing card before you meet the Immigration Officer in the UK (if you are a non-EEA national); landing cards are usually handed out on the aircraft before you arrive in the UK
  3. Have your passport ready and remove it from any protective wallet before you present it to an Immigration Officer.; you should also take off your sunglasses or hat if you are wearing any
  4. Keep a printed copy of your CAS (Certificate of Acceptance for Studies) in your hand luggage; if you don't have a CAS, please bring details of your course of study (such as an offer letter), this must be in paper copy or print-out (not an electronic copy on your tablet or phone)
  5. Keep any important documents in your hand luggage, such as recent bank statements, medical documentation (if applicable) and details of where you are staying, as Border Force may ask to see this
  6. Expect Border Force officers to ask simple questions about your UK stay when you arrive at passport control
  7. Never give false or misleading information, including forged or counterfeit documents, to an immigration officer
  8. If you will be arriving to start your course in September, you may find there are dedicated student lanes at some UK airports so watch out for these when you arrive 


Import restrictions

Please ensure that you:

  • do not bring any meat or dairy products from outside the EU; there are restrictions on traditional medicines, food products and some fruit, vegetables and plants (including bulbs, seeds, cut flowers, tree bark)
  • do not bring endangered plants or animals, such as ivory, skins, hides and shells and products made from them
  • check the restrictions on the amount of goods you can bring in the UK such as tobacco, alcohol and gifts; if you exceed your allowances, all of your goods can be taken away from you
  • never bring counterfeit goods, illegal drugs, firearms (including realistic imitations), offensive weapons (including knives) or indecent or obscene material
  • declare any sums of cash of 10,000 Euros or more (or the equivalent in another currency) if you are travelling from a country outside the EU

UK Visa and Immigration website



Airport eGates and passport stamps

When you come through border control at the airport, a border control officer will stamp your passport. This stamp shows your date of entry into the UK, so it is required for registration at the University if you entering with a student visa.

Travellers from some countries (Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea and the USA) are likely to be directed to electronic passport gates (eGates or ePassport gates) which are also used by UK, EU, EEA and Swiss citizens.

UK government guidance



European students

The UK has introduced a new immigration system in 2021 and European students will require a visa from January 2021 onwards, unless they have already registered as a 'settled' or 'pre-settled' UK resident under the EU Settlement Scheme.

Irish citizens have the right to travel, live, work and study in the UK under the UK-Ireland Common Travel Area arrangements. These rights are not affected by Brexit, and you won't need to apply for a visa or the EU Settlement Scheme.



Transport connections to Nottingham

Nottingham has excellent train/bus links with major cities and airports including London, Birmingham and Manchester, as well as East Midlands Airport.

Travelling to Nottingham

Late arrival

You must arrive before the final registration deadline (three weeks after the course start date) and must not travel to the UK if you will be unable to do so.

Late arrival guidance



Coronavirus (Covid-19)

See latest advice for UoN community.

Student Services

University Park

Please see our need help page for telephone and online contact points