You're almost ready to join us at Nottingham. Before setting out, make sure you have everything you need for a smooth journey.
Packing to come to Nottingham might feel like a big task. This might be your first time in the UK or your first time living away from home. You are probably asking yourself: What should I bring? What can I get when I arrive?
We are here to help you decide what to pack and bring to university - in your suitcase and hand luggage.
This page was last updated on 04 August 2022 at 13:13 (GMT)
Before you leave
For further information on what to expect when you arrive at a UK airport, please visit our entering the UK webpage.
You can access practical advice guides from Study UK on travel advice, health services, managing your money and personal safety within the UK.
If you are unable to arrive in time for the start date of your course, see our guidance on late arrival. You must not travel to the UK if you are unable to arrive before the final registration deadline.
Packing your suitcase
Try not to pack more than you can carry. Here is some of our advice for packing your suitcase:
- Avoid bringing heavy bedding and kitchenware. You can buy these in Nottingham, or buy a bedding pack from us
- Check the weather. Bring some warm clothing and a waterproof jacket. Do not worry about bringing lots of winter clothing, you can buy affordable clothing in Nottingham when you need it
- Food, alcohol, and restricted items information can be found on the governments customs information webpage. You cannot bring meat and dairy products from outside the EU.
Your hand luggage
It is useful to keep some important documents in your hand luggage, including:
- your passport and visa
- flight tickets and any other travel documents
- university documents
- cash or travellers cheques or debit/credit cards
- evidence of financial support for fees and maintenance
- evidence of TB screening if this was required as part of your visa process
- travel insurance
- accommodation details
- some warm clothes for when you arrive in the UK
Entering the UK