Finding University of Nottingham theses (UK and Malaysia only)
The libraries in the UK and Malaysia hold copies of all PhD and MPhil theses written by University of Nottingham students.
Use NUsearch [UK; Malaysia] to find theses in both print and electronic format, where available.
Finding a thesis on your topic area:
- Go to the Library Collections tab
- Enter a keyword(s) that describes your topic followed by the word 'theses'
- Click on search
Finding a list of theses undertaken in a school or department:
- Go to the Library Collections tab
- Enter the search as below, changing the school or department name as required
e.g. university of nottingham theses chemical engineering
Accessing University of Nottingham theses
In print (UK and Malaysia only)
In the UK and Malaysia, click on 'Location & Requests' or 'View ... versions', then 'Locations & Requests' to view the location of the thesis and whether it is on loan or available.
In the UK, click on 'sign-in to request' for theses located in central store and these will be delivered to your home library.
In Malaysia, obtain the thesis from the short-loan section.
Online via NUsearch (UK and Malaysia only)
'Online access' or [electronic resource] after the title, indicates that the thesis is available in electronic format. Click on Preview to view the full-text.
Online via the etheses repository (Students on all campuses)
Alternatively, students at all 3 campuses can visit the University's eTheses repository.
- Either search the archive by name or subject
- Or browse by author, subject, year or faculties and schools.
Copyright permission from the author is required before theses can be digitised. Currently, only a small number of theses are available electronically
Theses may be embargoed for a period of time if there is commercial interest in the results. In these cases you won't be able to see the content until the embargo period has expired
Finding theses from other universities
A range of databases and repositories exist to help you track down theses undertaken at other institutions. You can access a full list of repositories from NUsearch [UK, China, Malaysia].
- Go to Databases from the home page
- Select General from the Category drop-down
- Select Theses from the Sub-category drop-down
The Index to Theses provides access to the bibliographic details of all theses produced by students in the UK and Ireland since 1716.
- This is a good resource to find every theses that has been written in the UK or Ireland.
- Details of the author, title, awarding institution and year are available and in some cases an abstract. The full content will not be available via this service.
The British Library's EThOS service provides details of all doctoral theses by UK Higher Education institutions and aims to digitise as many theses as possible. You will see the following options
- PDF thesis available for immediate download: a thesis that has already been digitised on behalf of the research community
- Thesis available to order: you are the first person to request the thesis and a payment for digitisation is required
- Not available: institutions that are not members of ethos. More information can be found under Finding resources elesewhere.
UK and European theses
DART Europe searches etheses repositories from European institutions. Full-text access is available.
US and international theses
Proquest Dissertations and Theses indexes theses completed in the USA. In some cases, a full-text PDF will be available. In others, you will only see a preview. More information on borrowing theses from the USA can be found under Finding resources elesewhere.
Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations (NDLTD) is an international organisation dedicated to promoting the adoption, creation, use, dissemination, and preservation of electronic theses and dissertations (ETDs).