Academic Visitors


An Academic Visitor is someone:

  • Employed by an overseas higher education institution
  • Highly qualified within their own field of expertise
  • Coming to the UK to undertake unfunded research in one of the following categories:

    a) academics on sabbatical leave (often unpaid but not exclusively) who wish to carry out research at the University

    b) academics (including doctors) taking part in formal exchange arrangements with appropriate Schools

    c) senior doctors or dentists coming to take part in research, teaching or clinical practice for their own purposes

Financial Issues

No fee to be charged since benefit of the visit should outweigh the need to charge a fee. A contribution towards consumables may be sought.

Immigration Issues

Standard Visitor visa required by non EEA members. Maximum length of visa is 12 months and this cannot be renewed. The University has a template letter for international academic visitors from outside the EEA which meets strict immigration requirements and should always be used.

Further Information

International Office –



Last edited Aug 01, 2016