Who is the Foundation Year for?
The Foundation Year is part of the University’s commitment to widening participation in higher education. It is open to UK applicants only.
Enter with BCC at A level or equivalent.
We welcome applicants with alternative qualifications - contact us to discuss your situation.
English language requirements
You will need to meet one of the following:
- GCSE English language at level 4 (grade C)
- IELTS 7.0 (no less than 6.0 in any element)
Subject specific requirements
For some of the degrees you can progress on to you do need to have certain A levels. Full details are on our prospectus page.
Your personal background
As well as having the required grades, you must have attended a UK state school/college and meet at least one of the following personal background criteria:
- you live in an area where people are less likely to go to university – check your postcode
- you are the first generation in your family to enter higher education
- you will be over 21 years old when you begin your course
- you have spent more than three months in local authority care (for this criterion you do not need to have attended a state school)
- you have refugee status from the Home Office
- you need to study in the East Midlands (for example for family, cultural or financial reasons)
- you provide long term care of a sick or disabled family member
Where relevant you should include reference to 5, 6 and 7 in your personal statement, or provide this information via firstname.lastname@example.org when you submit your UCAS application.
Alternative courses for EU/International students
This is course is not available EU/international students. Instead, you may consider the Business, Law and Social Sciences Foundation Certificate. This is offered through the University of Nottingham International College in partnership with Kaplan International Pathways.
I took a somewhat unconventional route into higher education. When I was 18 I started a foundation science course at a different university, and I hated it!
Read more about Franklyn's experiences