Midlands4Cities (M4C) PhD funding
Be part of a thriving community of PhD students producing world-class research.
Midlands4Cities offers you:
- Funding including tuition fees, maintenance grant, and research development, training and placement funds
- Supervision from experienced academics across eight universities
- Placements with regional, national and international partners*
- Training in both research and career skills
- Networking and collaboration with other M4C students, our academics and research partners
The Midlands4Cities offer is open to both home and international applicants.
Explore the full M4C offer
Become an M4C student at the University of Nottingham
There are three steps to applying:
Step 1 - Find your supervisors
Your supervisory team will depend on the type of award you apply for.
- Open Doctoral Award (ODA) - build your own supervisory team from 8 universities as well as M4C's partners across the cultural, creative, heritage and business sectors.
- Collaborative Doctoral Awards (CDA) - take advantage of one of our unique partnership projects where your supervision team is already set.
Find out more about supervisors and awards
Step 2: Apply to the University of Nottingham
You must do this before you apply for M4C funding as you need your University Applicant ID to submit your M4C form.
Our postgraduate study pages give full details on:
- the application process
- key dates
- eligibility criteria
as well as help to write your research proposal.
Apply to research at Nottingham
Step 3: Apply to M4C for funding
You do this using the M4C online application portal. This provides:
- detailed guidance notes on how to apply for funding
- a referees reference form
- the online application form.
Application deadline for 2023 entry is noon, Wednesday 11 January 2023.
Apply to Midlands4Cities for funding
Application writing workshops
To find out more about writing a PhD project proposal and the M4C application process register for one of the M4C application writing workshops.
Coventry and Warwick
- Saturday 19 November
- Registration link to follow
Nottingham Trent University
University of Nottingham
I wouldn't have done this if I didn't have Midlands4Cities funding. I wouldn’t have been able to give up three to four years of my life without a fixed income, so the Midlands4Cities funding has been fundamental.
Find out more about the outstanding research culture at the University of Nottingham
If your course does not have a compulsory placement, integrated year in industry or compulsory year abroad where there is already an opportunity to undertake a work placement as part of that experience, you may be able to apply to undertake an optional placement year. While it is the student's responsibility to find and secure a placement, our Careers and Employability Service will support you throughout this process. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.
The school/faculty you are joining may also have additional placement opportunities. Please visit the school/faculty website for more information.
Please note: In order to undertake an optional placement year, you will need to achieve the relevant academic requirements as set by the university and meet any requirements specified by the placement host. There is no guarantee that you will be able to undertake an optional placement as part of your course.