Midlands4Cities (M4C) offers you:
- Funding including tuition fees, maintenance grant, and research development, training and placement funds. The total package for 2023 to 2024 was £23,334 tax-free plus other funding opportunities
- Supervision from experienced academics across eight universities
- Placements with regional, national and international partners
- Training in both research and career skills
- Networking and collaboration with other M4C students, our academics and research partners
Midlands4Cities is open to both home and international applicants.
M4C is a collaboration between eight leading universities across the Midlands - the University of Birmingham, Birmingham City University, University of Warwick, Coventry University, University of Leicester, De Montfort University, Nottingham Trent University and The University of Nottingham. Find out more about the M4C Partnership.
Types of M4C awards
There are two types of PhD awards through Midlands4Cities:
Open Doctoral Award (ODA)
You'll agree a research project with your supervisors. You will have a minimum of two supervisors who will offer expert guidance, support and feedback throughout your research. University of Nottingham academics are leading specialists in their fields with years of experience in successfully supervising PhD candidates.
Although you will be a University of Nottingham researcher you can also have co-supervisors from any of the other Midlands4Cities universities where their experience and expertise is an appropriate fit for your research topic.
You're encouraged to get in touch with potential supervisors as early as possible. They can use their experience to advise on suitability for M4C applications, co-supervisors and writing applications.