Services for Students


Frequently Asked Questions

Search All the Questions

Refer to the Extenuating Circumstances Policy and Procedures in the Quality Manual. There are time limits on when you may submit ECs.
Your School should have notified you of any action they have taken as a result of a claim for ECs, but if they have not, you should contact them in the first instance. It might be appropriate to appeal – see the question below.

The Education Advisers in the Students’ Union offer help and advice if you are considering appealing or submitting late claims of extenuating circumstances. Contact details for this service are found online.

Refer to the Academic Appeals Policy and Procedure in the Quality Manual.
This might be for a number of reasons, for instance:
  • Your home School has not yet returned a recommendation.
  • The marks have not been returned (e.g. you took your examinations overseas and the paper was late being returned).
  • You were not in the UK when you took those modules (mobility/credit transfer modules will be entered later and actual marks can be accessed either through the Ningbo/Malaysia version of Blue Castle or from the institution at which you were studying).
  • You are not a UK based student (although students on mobility form China and Malaysia will be able to see marks for the modules taken here).
  • Your School has advised you of an earlier or later release date.

Full time students who are eligible for a thesis pending period should download and complete the  Registration form.

Late applications will not be accepted. Completed form should be emailed to relevant Faculty support team (email addresses on the form). 


The fee rises on an annual basis.

Please see the Tuition Fee pages for further information (please choose ‘Postgraduate research tuition fees’ and select relevant academic year from left menu).


Students whose programme of study lasts for less than 4 years (8 years in the case of part-time students) and who have completed their research and the period of registered study, may enter the thesis-pending period. In all cases the thesis must be submitted within 4 years (full-time) or 8 years (part-time) of the start of study or within 12 months (full-time) or 24 months (part-time) of the end of registration, whichever is the lesser unless the terms and conditions of a studentship held by an individual vary this.

Typically, full time student on 36 month plan is likely to be eligible for 1 year of thesis pending, student on 42 month would get 6 months, and students on 4 year plan would not be eligible for thesis pending.


Upon receipt of your completed  Notification of submission of thesis form, Student Services will ask your School to nominate examiners. When approved, we will email you with the names of your examiners, asking you to declare any possible conflict of interest.

Every research thesis will be evaluated by Examiners who have appropriate academic qualifications, relevant expertise in the area of research being examined, and a suitable level of experience in examining research degree submissions.

It is the responsibility of the Internal Examiner to arrange the viva voce examination and it is therefore important that you keep him/her advised of your contact details.

You are required to submit your thesis for examination by the submission deadline notified to you during your course of studies. In exceptional circumstances, you can apply for an extension to your submission deadline, in line with the extension to thesis pending policy.

All applications should be agreed with your School and submitted with supporting evidence to Student Services for consideration. Please refer to our website for more information and application form.

Displaying 51 to 60 of 234
Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next

Student Services feedback form

Let us know how we're doing. Whether you've had excellent service or something needs improving, we want to hear from you.

Student Services

University Park

Please see our need help page for telephone and online contact points