International students
Information for current EU students

Information for current EU students

We are committed to supporting our European students at Nottingham and will continue to provide a truly global experience for all of our students after Brexit.

This information is provided for students who are already studying at the University of Nottingham's UK campuses. If you have applied or are considering applying to study at Nottingham in 2021 or later, please refer to our Brexit information for EU applicants.

This webpage was most recently updated on 14 July 2021. The information below was correct to the best of our knowledge at this time, but may be subject to change.

Fees and funding

Students from the European Union (classed as EU for fee purposes) who have commenced their studies in the UK in the 2020-21 academic year or earlier will continue to have access to the existing fees and funding opportunities for the full duration of their course.

This includes:

Immigration regulations

EU Settlement Scheme

If you have obtained 'settled' or 'pre-settled' status under the UK's EU Settlement Scheme, then you can live, study and work in the UK freely with this immigration status. You can also exit and re-enter the UK and will not require a UK visa.

The EU Settlement Scheme was available to EU, EEA and Swiss citizens who were living in the UK by the end of 2020. Applications for the scheme closed on 30 June 2021.

If you did not register for the EU Settlement Scheme, you will need another valid immigration status to remain in the UK, such as a student visa. Please contact the Visa and Immigration team for advice if you are a current student in this situation.

Irish students

The rights of Irish citizens residing in the UK are protected after the UK leaves the EU under the UK-Ireland Common Travel Area arrangements. This means that Irish citizens do not need to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme.

Degree recognition

British universities are widely recognised around the world and there are various recognition agreements between countries. Many of these agreements are not related to the European Union, so most academic qualifications will still be recognised.

Where degrees are accredited by professional bodies in the UK, such as degrees in architecture, engineering, law, medicine, nursing, pharmacy and veterinary science, these degrees may no longer qualify graduates to work in these fields within the EU and EEA, since the Mutual Recognition of Professional Qualifications (MRPQ) agreements ceased in 2020.

Students studying professional qualifications in the UK should check with the relevant overseas professional body that their UK degree will qualify them to work in their profession in their chosen country.

Studying abroad during your Nottingham degree course

The University of Nottingham believes that student mobility is essential to the global experience we offer our students, and we will continue to provide opportunities to study and work abroad during our courses, at partner universities across Europe and the globe. 

The University has made a commitment to continue providing outgoing student mobility and exchange programmes through the Erasmus+ scheme until the 2022-23 academic year, regardless of whether Erasmus+ funding from the UK government continues beyond Brexit.

Find out more about Brexit's impact on study abroad opportunities

Find out more

Contact the Visa and Immigration team

International Office

C Floor, YANG Fujia Building
Jubilee Campus, Wollaton Road
Nottingham, NG8 1BB, UK

t: +44 (0) 115 951 5247
f: +44 (0) 115 951 5155