International students
  • Print
Brexit information for future students

Brexit information for future students

We are committed to welcoming students from across Europe and beyond and providing a truly global experience for all of our students.

This information is provided for students who will commence their studies at the University of Nottingham in the 2020 academic year or later. If you are already studying at Nottingham, please refer to our Brexit information for current students.

Disclaimer: This webpage was most recently updated on 19 February 2021. The information below was correct to the best of our knowledge at this time, but may be subject to change.

Fees and funding

Courses beginning in the 2020/21 academic year

The UK government has confirmed that students from the European Union (classed as EU for fee purposes) who begin courses in the 2020/21 academic year will continue to have access to the same fees and funding options as in previous years, for the full duration of their course of study.

This includes:

Check our online course pages for other sources of funding you may be eligible for.

Courses beginning in August 2021 or later

Following the UK's exit from the European Union, the UK government has confirmed that EU, EEA and Swiss nationals starting courses in the 2021/22 academic year who are not registered as 'settled or 'pre-settled' in the UK will no longer be eligible for home/UK fee status or financial support from Student Finance England.

This means that these students will pay the same fees as international students. We are waiting for UKCISA guidance on fee status assessments and will update affected applicants as soon as we can.

The University of Nottingham offers undergraduate and postgraduate scholarships for outstanding EU students as part of our range of international scholarships.

UK Research and Innovation has announced that its PhD studentships will be available for international students from the 2021-22 academic year onwards. This will include EU, EEA and Swiss students as well as students from other countries.

Exceptions to international fee status

EU nationals who are already resident in the UK and meet all other eligibility requirements will still be entitled to fees at the UK student rate and to the financial support options available to UK students. To demonstrate UK residency via the EU Settlement Scheme you must be resident in the UK by 31 December 2020 and apply for the scheme by 30 June 2021.

Irish nationals living in the UK or the Republic of Ireland will be treated the same as UK students for fees and funding purposes, due to the UK-Ireland Common Travel Area agreement.

UK nationals living in the EU, EEA and Switzerland may also continue to be eligible for Home/UK fee status, when entering courses at UK universities until 31 December 2027 (subject to meeting eligibility criteria).

Immigration regulations

Entering the UK

If you are an EU, EEA or Swiss national and you entered the UK before 31 December 2020, you can apply for the EU Settlement Scheme up to 30 June 2021, to retain your immigration permissions.

The UK government has launched a new points-based immigration system, taking effect from 1 January 2021, when freedom of movement between the UK and EU ended.

Citizens of the EU, EEA and Switzerland are included in the new points-based system, and will require a visa to enter, work, live and study in the UK. For most students, this will mean applying for a student visa.

After completing a degree course on a student visa, you will then be eligible for the new graduate immigration route (post-study work visa) to stay and work in the UK for a further two years – or up to three years after a PhD course.

Use our welcome webpages to plan your travel arrangements. Students travelling from certain countries may need to self-isolate (quarantine) for 10 days after entering the UK.

Welcome guide for international and EU students

Irish students

Under the Common Travel Area arrangements between Ireland and the UK, Irish nationals can enter, live, work and study in the UK without a visa. These rights are unaffected by Brexit, so Irish students do not need to apply for a student visa or for the EU Settlement Scheme.

Degree recognition

British universities are widely recognised around the world and there are various recognition agreements between countries. Many of these agreements are not related to the EU. Therefore, even after the UK leaves the EU, most academic qualifications will still be recognised.

Where degrees are accredited by professional bodies in the UK, such as degrees in architecture, engineering, law, medicine, nursing, pharmacy and veterinary science, these degrees may no longer qualify graduates to work in these fields within the EU and EEA, since the Mutual Recognition of Professional Qualifications (MRPQ) agreements will cease after 2020.

Students studying professional qualifications in the UK should check with the relevant overseas professional body that their UK degree will qualify them to work in their profession in their chosen country.

Studying abroad during your Nottingham degree course

The University of Nottingham believes that student mobility is essential to the global experience we offer our students, and we will continue to provide opportunities to study and work abroad during our courses, at partner universities across Europe and the globe. 

The University has made a commitment to continue providing outgoing student mobility and exchange programmes through the Erasmus+ scheme (or an alternative to the Erasmus+ scheme) until the 2022/23 academic year, regardless of whether Erasmus+ funding from the UK government continues beyond Brexit.

Brexit's impact on study abroad opportunities

Spend part of your degree course at Nottingham

European exchange students interested in studying at the University of Nottingham for a semester or year as part of their degree can find details of how to apply on our Erasmus+ page for visiting students.

Your next steps


International Office

C Floor, YANG Fujia Building
Jubilee Campus, Wollaton Road
Nottingham, NG8 1BB, UK

t: +44 (0) 115 951 5247
f: +44 (0) 115 951 5155