Visa conditions


If you enter the UK on a student visa/entry clearance there are certain conditions that you must be aware of:

  • duration
  • police registration
  • work restrictions
  • responsibilities 
Visa conditions


The entry clearance/BRP card will include a start and end date. You must not:

  • try to enter the UK before the start of the visa/entry clearance
  • remain in the UK beyond the end of the visa/entry clearance (without extending it).

Please contact our Immigration Advisers once you arrive at the University if you think the end date of your visa is incorrect.

Police Registration

If it states on your visa vignette (entry clearance sticker in your passport) or visa decision letter that you are required to register with the police then it is important that you arrange to do so. 

To help you to do this, Nottinghamshire Police can register you on-campus.  The police are available on Wednesdays between 9am – 12.30pm and 1.30pm – 4.30pm at Cherry Tree Lodge, University Park Campus (building no. 13 on the Campus Map).  In the first instance, they will book an appointment for your registration and some information on what you need to bring with you on the day.

You will only need to register with the police if your visa is for more than 6 months, you are over 16 years of age and you are one of the nationalities required to register with the police.   

Work restrictions

Degree level students are normally allowed to work 20 hours a week during term time and full-time during your vacation periods. If your visa/entry clearance includes the words 'work and any changes must be authorised' then, according to the Immigration Rules, you are allowed to work as outlined above without seeking any further permission.

Please note if you are studying a course below UK degree level, such as a Foundation Course or an English Language course at CELE, you are only allowed to work 10 hours per week.

You must not work more than the number of hours permitted by your student visa/entry clearance.

Please see working in the UK for further information.

Note: If you are an international student in the UK for a short course of six months or less then permission to work is not usually granted.  


UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) regulations mean that as a Tier 4 student visa holder you will have certain responsibilities once you enter the UK. It is very important that you are aware of these responsibilities and comply with the conditions of your stay. The University, as your immigration sponsor, also has certain responsibilities to adhere to as set out by UKVI.

You can download a copy of the Tier 4 immigration responsibilities leaflet. PDF file icon   

Student visa responsibilities

As a student, your responsibilities are to:

  • provide the University with a copy of your passport and visa/biometric residence card (BRP)
  • keep your contact details in the UK up to date via the Student Portal
  • register for your course on time each academic year
  • study while you are in the UK (ensuring that you have good attendance on your course and no significant gaps or absences)
  • follow University processes if you decide that you would like to defer or suspend your studies or withdraw from your course
  • return home if you defer or suspend your studies, withdraw from your course or if your course is terminated
  • act within the immigration rules if you change Education Provider (to another provider). Most students in this situation will need to make a fresh visa application

Failure to comply can lead to suspension and/or withdrawal from your course.

University visa responsibilities

As a University, our responsibilities are to:

  • take and keep copies of the passport and visa/biometric residence card (BRPs) for non-EEA nationals
  • keep contact details up to date (and to keep a record of any changes of address)
  • check registration and to report non registration to UK Visas and Immigration
  • monitor attendance and to report unauthorised non attendance to UK Visas and Immigration
  • monitor changes of status and to report deferrals, suspensions, withdrawals and course terminations to UK Visas and Immigration
  • notify UK Visas and Immigration of any significant changes in your circumstances (such as a change of course or the successful completion of your course where this is earlier than expected)

Late arrival

If you will be unable to arrive in time for the start date of your course, see our guidance on late arrivals for some important information about arriving late.

You must arrive before the final registration deadline and must not travel to the UK if you will be unable to do so.

International Student Recruitment

C Floor, YANG Fujia Building
Jubilee Campus, Wollaton Road
Nottingham, NG8 1BB, UK

t: +44 (0) 115 951 5247
f: +44 (0) 115 951 5155
e: Contact us by email