Help to Grow: Management
Help to Grow: Management is a business support course which helps senior leaders from small and medium-sized businesses to learn skills and strategies for resilience and growth.
This practical management course has been developed by the Small Business Charter in partnership with world-class business schools. It is delivered by business leaders and academic experts with real-world experience of business issues.
The 12-week course includes 50 hours of in-depth training and is 90% subsidised by the government so costs participants £750. You can take part around your existing work commitments and access learning through a blend of online and face-to-face sessions.
You will learn strategies for growth and innovation, engaging with customers, building a sustainable and agile business, as well as financial management and responsible business practices. You will also develop your own capabilities in leadership, innovation, and employee relations.
By the end of the course, you will have developed a tailored business growth plan to increase productivity, grow your revenue and help take your business to the next level. You will also have developed vital strategies to increase business resilience during challenging times.
The video shows Hannah Noke, Deputy Director of the Haydn Green Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship, talking about the programme.
Express your interest
Thanks to the Haydn Green Institute, we are able to offer a limited number of fully-funded, discretionary bursaries. These are for:
- those who may otherwise struggle to pay the £750 fee
- businesses or social enterprises that are supporting underserved groups
We are particularly interested if your work addresses one of the following challenges:
- Building stronger communities
- Tackling climate change
- Improving health
Bursaries will be granted on a first-come, first-served basis to those who meet the criteria. Recipients will have the £750 course fee covered by the bursary and this does not have to be repaid.
- Enhance your management and strategic capabilities
- Produce a growth plan for your business
- Build resilience to future shocks
- Learn how to innovate in your business
- Adopt digital technologies to boost productivity and operational agility
- Develop your value proposition and reach into growth markets
- Improve employee engagement and responsible business practices
- Network with local businesses from a range of sectors
Help to Grow is a fantastic resource. It helped build on my business growth ideas, showing new ideas and techniques. The tutors were incredibly encouraging and engaging.
Who is the course for?
Help to Grow: Management is for key decision makers in UK businesses, including chief executives, owners/founders and members of the senior management team.
To be eligible, businesses must employ between 5 and 249 people and have been operational for at least one year. Businesses with 5-9 employees can enrol 1 participant whilst those with 10 or more are eligible to enrol 2.
Charities are not currently eligible.
Read the Help to Grow: Management course brochure
What does the course involve?
- Eight facilitated online two-hour sessions
- Four practical and interactive case study workshops
- One-to-one support from a mentor, providing you with personalised support to develop your business growth plan
- Peer networking, including peer group calls that give you the opportunity to share experiences with a small group of like-minded business leaders
- Access to the alumni programme featuring events with inspirational speakers, business clinics and networking events
Strategies for growth and innovation
- Strategy and Innovation
- Digital Adoption
- Internationalisation and winning new markets
Engaging with customers
- Vision, mission and values
- Developing a marketing strategy
- Building a brand case study
Building a sustainable and agile business
- Organisational design
- Employee engagement and leading change
- High performance workplace case study
Operations and financial strategies
- Efficient operations
- Finance and financial management
- Implementing growth plans case study
I have found the one-to-one mentoring sessions particularly helpful, providing great advice on how I help our business grow.
By offering Help to Grow: Management, we have helped over 70 businesses on their journey towards growth and resilience. But don't just take it from us - find out more from our alumni by reading their stories.
Help to Grow: Management at Nottingham University Business School
Nottingham University Business School has been delivering Help to Grow: Management courses since July 2021 and has helped over 70 businesses on their journey towards growth and resilience.
We hold the Small Business Charter Award which recognises business schools that play an effective role in supporting small business, local economies and student entrepreneurship.
Our Business School is part of a globally connected network of education, research and industrial engagement. We are also a major employer and industry partner - locally and globally.
Step through the door to growth today