A vet's role in wildlife health and conservation
Vets don't just care for domestic animals, but also wild animals - free living and in captivity. Discover the range of opportunities you’ll have to broaden your knowledge, plus career paths you could explore.
In this session you'll learn about:
- Welfare of captive wildlife, using elephants as an example
- Experiences of wildlife care in the UK, Africa and Southeast Asia
- Wildlife rehabilitation, with an overview of a final year visit to RSPCA Eastwinch to see rehabilitation of seals, swans and hedgehogs as part of the final year elective rotation on zoo, wildlife and exotic animals
- Conservation and the role vets play helping endangered or threatened species such as primates, hippos, crocodiles, and various bird species
- Career paths in wild and exotic animals