Student Services

Overseas examinations arrangements

Coronavirus (Covid-19)

See latest advice for UoN community and details of how to report symptoms or test results

The University is moving assessment online for the summer period. Your final or year-end marks will not be negatively affected by your remaining assessment, provided you pass your end-of-year assessments.

The University of Nottingham is currently running the majority of their exams online, so if you have been approved as a remote study student you will be able to take your assessment at your approved overseas remote location (e.g. your home).  

The Overseas Application is closed due to Covid-19. There will be no adjustments made to account for local time differences



Can I take my examinations in another country?

Arrangements for exams to be taken overseas are only made for students who:

  • Are normally resident overseas and have external resits;
  • Have been given permission by the International Office under mobility arrangements;
  • Have to be overseas during the exam period as a requirement of their course; or
  • Have other exceptional circumstances approved on an individual case basis.
  • Is on a course that is allowed to be taken overseas

Where the candidate is not an overseas resident arrangements will not be made unless the circumstances and reasons have been discussed with the Office of Global Engagement, Student Services or the School/Department.

Please note: overseas exam arrangements will not be made for students who are on holiday or temporarily overseas during the published examination periods. 

The Examination dates for this academic year are published on the Examinations webpages.

Examination dates for future years are published on the University Key Dates web page.

I am an incoming exchange student, can I take my exams overseas?

No. Incoming exchange students studying in Nottingham for the Autumn Semester are expected to sit the normal assessment relating to the courses to which they are signed up for.

Only in exceptional circumstances exchange students may apply to the School/Department to arrange an alternative form of assessment. Where this is not possible the student must return to Nottingham to complete the assessment.

Only where the start date of the home university semester is before the end of the Nottingham exam period may a student apply to take their examinations overseas.

Schools should not advise students that they may sit overseas at this stage – for incoming students this is only possible if the student has been given permission to sit overseas as part of an exchange agreement with his/her Home institution

How much does it cost to take examinations overseas?

There are potentially three fees that you will be asked to pay:

  1. University re-sit fee - Undergraduate £80.00/Postgraduate £130.00 (if you are taking first sits only, this charge does not apply)
  2. Overseas administrative fee - £150.00 per examination period no matter how many individual examinations are taken in that session (this charge applies to re-sits and first sits)
  3. Local charges and/or costs directly to the administering overseas institution making the local exam arrangements. Please note UNNC and UNM may also have local charges. 

You can pay the overseas administrative fee via the "My Finance" tab on the Portal. Once the arrangements have been made by the Exams Office and the invoice is showing on your portal, you will be required to pay the full amount even if you do not continue with the overseas re-sit examination.

Any local charges must be paid directly to your chosen institution.

Can I take all of my modules at my chosen overseas institution/British Council?

No, unfortunately, there are some examinations that you will not be permitted to take overseas.

Before contacting your School or Department for permission to take an examination overseas please refer to the spreadsheet in Step 1 of the application instructions. If there are exceptional circumstances affecting a student, these will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

If you cannot progress to the next stage of your degree or complete your award without being reassessed you will be informed via the Assessment Channel.

You will receive a letter from the Student Services detailing the requirements, the form of reassessment, and the costs involved.

What should I do if my overseas institution asks me questions about the Examination process?


How to Apply

Information for overseas Institutions/British Councils

Student Services

Portland Building, University of Nottingham
University Park
Nottingham, NG7 2RD

Contact us