Our Career Mentoring scheme offers Nottingham alumni the opportunity to provide career advice and support to current students and graduates in their first year after leaving university.
Mentoring develops via remote contact over four to five months, giving participants time to benefit from their mentor's professional experience and knowledge. We've matched hundreds of alumni with students and new graduates since the scheme began – it's a great way for you to pass on wisdom and expertise to help the next generation embark on a successful career!
Career Mentoring reopens in autumn 2022
Mentoring Timetable 2022 - 2023 (Current students and Class of 2022 alumni)
We will be looking to support current students and 2022 alumni when the scheme opens this autumn.
Timescales for both cohorts are below (please note: student and alumni to alumni mentoring will run concurrently):
COHORT 1: November 2022 to March 2023
- Mentee registrations: Open 30 August
- Mentor/mentee matching: Across October, mentors will be notified of a match in mid-November
- One-to-one mentoring period: From mid-November until mid-March
- Evaluation: Late March
Mentors who are not matched in cohort 1 will be notified no later than 30 November 2022
COHORT 2: March 2023 to June 2023
- Mentee registrations: Open 3 January
- Mentor/mentee matching: Late January to late February
- One-to-one mentoring period: Early March until mid-June
- Evaluation: Late June
Mentors who are not matched in cohort 2 will be notified no later than 28 February 2023
What to expect from us
If we find you a match you can expect:
- to receive introductory online training from a dedicated Mentoring Coordinator
- to receive ongoing support from your Mentoring Coordinator
- to receive check-ins from our team across the duration of your mentoring partnership, ensuring everything is going well
What we expect from you
If matched you will need to accept our mentor agreement and also commit to:
- virtual mentor training at the start of the scheme
- monthly mentoring sessions over email, text or videocall with your mentee
- providing feedback in check-ins and end of scheme evaluation to our team
The Mentor: Hear why Amy, a senior scientist at local business Sygnature Discovery, chose to mentor Nottingham students.
The Mentee: Hear how mentoring helped fourth-year neuroscience student Nerissa feel inspired about her future career.