School of Education
Centre for English Language Education

Joint Academic and Presessional Offers

If you want to take a presessional English course of 10 or 5 weeks to precede an academic course start date in September, and you are holding an offer for a postgraduate taught (masters level) course, you could be eligible for a joint CAS. A joint CAS covers the presessional course and the academic course, meaning that you only need to apply for your Tier 4 visa once.

In what situation am I eligible for a joint CAS?

A joint CAS can be issued if you hold an offer for a postgraduate taught (masters) and one of the following applies:

  • your offer is unconditional
  • your academic offer is for:
    Computer Science
    some courses in the School of Sociology and Social Policy* 
  • and the only condition on your academic offer relates to English as you narrowly missed your English language condition

*MA Public Policy, MA Public Administration, MA International Social Policy

Please email our team of experts for clarification if you believe any of the options might apply to you.


What length of presessional course is eligible for a joint CAS?

A joint CAS is only available for presessional English courses of 10 or 5 weeks which immediately precede an academic course start date in September.


Would I be eligible for a joint CAS if I have an unconditional offer already but choose to take the 10 or 5 week presessional course?

Yes, that is possible in most cases. However, if you have received any CAS for either the presessional or academic programme already, we cannot change the CAS. You are welcome to email us for advice in this situation.


I have an unconditional offer for my academic programme already. I would like to take the 4 week presessional course for unconditional offer holders, can I get a joint CAS?

You do not need a joint CAS. Instead, you can apply for your visa based on your main academic CAS. You will be permitted to enter the UK one month prior to your course start date, which should be enough time to start the 4 week presessional course.


I am holding an offer with two conditions, one is an academic condition related to my degree results and one is an English language condition. Is it possible for me to get a joint CAS and will I have time to do so?

If you are likely to meet your academic condition (based on degree results, for example) by the application deadline for the 10 week or 5 week presessional course, then you could be considered for a joint CAS based on question one or two of this guidance. Because of timing, if you prefer to receive a single CAS for your presessional English course, please let us know.


When do I need a UKVI IELTS?

You need a UKVI IELTS test if you are planning to join the presessional course and you will come to the UK on a single CAS for that purpose.

Many students choose to take a UKVI IELTS to make sure that they can keep all options open.


Will I need to take an assessment at the end of my presessional course?

All students, except for those on the four-week course, will take an assessment.

If you are studying the presessional English course on a single CAS, you will need to pass the assessment at the level specified on your academic offer.

If you don’t pass the assessment, you should seek advice from CELE. Please be prepared that you may be required to defer your academic offer and return home, overseas.


Glossary of terms and definitions
Unconditional You have no conditions outstanding for English or academic reasons
B2 level Where an IELTS score has 5.5 or above in all elements
IELTS International English Language Testing System
UKVI IELTS A UK Visas and Immigration recognised English test - this is a specific type of IELTS required in certain cases at the Tier 4 visa application stage by UK Visas and Immigration


Centre for English Language Education

School of Education
Dearing Building
Jubilee Campus, Wollaton Road
Nottingham NG8 1BB

presessional email:
insessional email: