Presessional English for Academic Purposes 4 (PEAP 4)
What is PEAP 4?
PEAP 4 is designed for higher level students who are close to their English language requirement and runs for 10 or 6* weeks, according to your current level of English.
*the 6-week course only runs in the summer term.
Who is the course aimed at?
It is for students who need a small improvement to meet the requirements of their degree course.
How is the course delivered?
This course is available to study on campus here in Nottingham, or as an online course.
The information below applies to both modes of study.
How will I learn?
The main aims of the course are to:
- further develop your use of academic English
- improve your analytical and critical skills
- focus your attention on genres and academic texts specific to your discipline
- support you to work independently and collaboratively with equal confidence
- guide you on how to effectively use feedback
What will I do?
You will be asked to do a series of tasks:
- Explore a variety of academic topics
- Analyse and evaluate academic arguments
- Conduct library-based research on a discipline-specific topic of your own choice
- Write an academic paper based on your research
- Summarise and discuss your position on a topic relating to your discipline
- Reflect on your learning process
How many hours will I study?
You will be expected to study for at least 36 hours per week, which includes taught sessions with tutors, tutorials and independent study.
Online courses will include live taught sessions and monitored independent study tasks.
How will I be assessed?
At the end of PEAP 4 you will be assessed to see if you are ready to move on to your academic course. You will:
- write an academic paper on a controversial issue linked to your main subject area
- participate in an oral assessment to discuss your paper and reflect on your learning
How many students will be in my class?
Usually there are 14 to 18 students, but occasionally there will be over 18 per class.
If the number recruited to the course is low, we may not be able to run it. If this happens, we will inform you at the earliest opportunity.
If you are successful in gaining the required marks in your final assessments, you will be able to move on to your degree course at the University of Nottingham.