We are committed to providing trans students and staff with a fully supportive, inclusive and respectful environment in which to study or work. Our dedicated trans working party reported in 2017 to help ensure this.
The working party consisted of members and supporters of the trans community within the university, operational leaders to take actions forward and relevant teams and services as required.
The following challenges and opportunities for positive engagement with trans students and staff were explored by the working party:
- Consideration of difficulties involved in name changes and ways to improve associated processes
- Supporting cultural change and awareness of trans issues, such as correct pronoun usage and improving awareness of university policies
- Supporting the university with learning and development activities, and the update and implementation of new IT systems
- Supporting staff and students involved with work placements and projects
- University guidance, supporting staff and students outside of the university environment, and our culture and communications
The actions of the working party are now being used as a basis for ongoing organisational change. In addition, the efforts were formally recognised in a HEFCE report, highlighting examples of sector-leading and innovative best practice in advancing equality and diversity.
We have further work to do to support trans colleagues and want to understand how best to take this forward.
Working with Nottingham City Council and Nottinghamshire Police, we are proud to host the Notts Trans Picnic on campus every year. The intent of this annual event is to create a safe, welcoming space for the trans community in Nottingham as well as bringing together trans university staff, students and their families.
Definition of Trans
We recognise that trans people hold a variety of identities. Trans is used here as an inclusive ‘umbrella’ term for anyone whose gender identity and/or gender expression differs from the sex they were assigned at birth.
Information for students
Students may find these links useful:
Information for staff
Staff may find these links useful: