Information for students from India
Unlock your potential at a world-leading university with a truly international student community.
We offer a range of one-year foundation courses for international students who are not qualified for direct entry to our undergraduate degree programmes.
Our Foundation courses
We offer foundation courses for international students who are not qualified for direct entry to our undergraduate degree courses.
These courses are available at the University of Nottingham International College, just next to University Park Campus, in partnership with Kaplan International Colleges.
Find out more about the courses, entry requirements and progression options on Kaplan's website:
Applications and enquiries for these courses are handled by Kaplan and the college.
International foundation courses
Full-time courses across our five faculties typically last for three to four years, although some degrees such as medicine and architecture have a longer duration.
Undergraduate entry requirements
Our Undergraduate Prospectus lists entry requirements for A levels and International Baccalaureate students for each course.
For the Indian Higher Secondary Certificate (Class XII) we look at the average grades from your four highest graded subjects. The below provides guidance on our grade requirements for specific boards, entry requirements vary depending on the course you are applying to:
- Indian Higher Secondary Certificate (Class XII) CBSE or CISCE Boards: grades ranging from 84% to 93%
- India Higher Secondary Certificate (Class XII) Maharashtra State Board: grades ranging from 84% to 93%
- Indian Higher Secondary Certificate (Class XII) West Bengal Board: grades ranging from 74% to 83%
- Indian Higher Secondary Certificate (Class XII) All Other State Boards: grades ranging from 89% to 98%
This summary is provided as guidance, there may be individual grade and subject requirements specific to your programme of interest.
If your qualification isn't listed, please contact us for further information.
Students who have taken a three year diploma after Class XI instead of Class XII exams can be considered for second year entry to our courses.
We can accept Class X (B1 or B2) and Class XII (70% or above) grades as meeting our English language requirements.
Students taking APs or SATs should refer to entry requirements for the USA.
How to apply Search for courses English language requirements Request a prospectus
We offer a wide range of postgraduate masters degree programmes across our five faculties. Full-time masters courses typically last for one year.
Masters entry requirements
Applicants should hold a Bachelor’s degree from a recognised University, usually in a relevant subject area. This should be equivalent to at least a UK ‘Upper Second Class (2:1)’ or ‘Lower Second Class (2:2)’ degree. Take a look at our postgraduate course pages to check the requirements of your chosen programme.
The summary below is provided as guidance for degrees from Indian Universities. We do require higher grades than listed below, this depends on where you have studied and the course you are applying for at Nottingham. If you are unsure, please contact us for further information.
Masters entry requirements for students from India
Upper second Class (2.1)
Lower Second Class (2.2)
GPA out of 4.0
GPA out of 10
How to apply Search for courses English language requirements
Degrees from selected Universities in India can be accepted as meeting our English language requirements.
Our PhD courses, available across a wide range of subject areas, typically include three years of full time research followed by an optional writing-up period of one year to complete your thesis.
PhD entry requirements
Scholarships and funding
External sources of funding
Indian students at Nottingham
- A vibrant Indian student community including an Indian society and Indian dance society
- Faith societies for Hindus, Muslims, Christians, Sikhs, Buddhists and Jains
- Celebrations and festivals throughout the year including Holi, Eid, Diwali, and the Nottingham Mela
- Outstanding sports facilities and support with over 70 sports clubs
- Exchange programmes and study abroad links with more than 200 partner universities worldwide
- Excellent careers support including work placements and part-time work opportunities
- A range of Support Services for students, including Chaplaincy and Faith Support
- On campus Muslim prayer rooms and multi-faith prayer rooms, available to all faiths
- Local faith communities and facilities in the city, including churches, mosques, and Sikh and Hindu temples
- Halal, vegetarian and vegan diets are widely catered for in many cafes, pubs and restaurants in Nottingham and on campus
- Many Indian restaurants and Asian grocery shops in the city, as well as many other international cuisines
Alumni from India
- Degrees: BA Finance, Accounting and Management (2011), MSc Finance and Investment (2020)
- Current job: Business Consultant (IT Risk and Assurance), Ernst & Young LLP (UK)
"Having graduated from the University of Nottingham with a BA (Hons) in Finance, Accounting and Management (class of 2011), I found my journey at the university to have played a pivotal role in my life as a student and later as a working professional. My undergraduate experience at the university challenged and transformed my beliefs, ideologies and aspirations.
Studying at the University of Nottingham has always proved to be an exciting experience with enough scope to develop one's academic and professional qualities. My experience with challenging group projects have helped me understand the dynamics of working within teams with members from diverse backgrounds. My experience with coursework and group assignments during the pandemic has taught me how to be adaptable helped me realise my potential. Developing such skills whilst at the university has really bolstered my outlook towards what is possible in the professional sphere, post-graduation."
- Degree: BArch Architecture – RIBA/ARB Part 1 (2020)
- Current job: Architectural Assistant, Joseph Kemish Architects Ltd
"Studying at Unit 4B (architecture studio unit at the University of Nottingham) was pivotal in my development as an architectural student and as a person. The lessons that I learnt not only opened my mind in architecture but also gave me a new perspective on life. It gave me the confidence to be more ambitious and to try and make a positive difference around me. I was lucky to secure a job even during the pandemic at Joseph Kemish Architects Ltd."
Edwin's project, The Fifth Orchestration, received the 2020 RIBA Serjeant Award for Excellence in Drawing at RIBA Part 1 level. It was also awarded First Prize in The Charette Render Battle 2020, and the Render of the Year 2020 Young Designer Director's Choice Award. Find out more about Edwin's achievements.
- Degree: MArch Architecture (2018)
- Current job: Sustainable architect and founder, Elemental
"The best memory of studying at Nottingham is the encouragement I received from my tutors. I got clarity on my strengths and areas I needed to improve on. I was able to stay and work in the UK for a few months after graduation at Allan Joyce Architects, Nottingham, as a researcher and architectural assistant."
- Degree: MBA (2009)
- Current job: Senior Consultant, Ernst and Young LLP
"Studying at the University of Nottingham boosted my confidence, communication and presentation skills. It helped me bridge my knowledge gap on business and added an international experience, expanding both my professional and personal network.”
- Degree: MSc Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Management (2018)
- Current job: Founder entrepreneur, Pucho delivery service
"I always wanted to start my own business, and knew this was the right course for me. The Entrepreneurship Project gave us first-hand experience of how a start-up functions and the various situations that a new company faces. This helped give me the confidence to start my own business."
Find out more in Ashmita's blog post.
Aparajita (Ivy) Roy
- Degree: MSc Economics Development and Policy Analysis (2016)
- Current job: Head of Market Research and Analysis, KornChain Ltd
"Out of every offer I received that winter, this was my most awaited. It proved to be the right choice. The vastness of exposure apart from the wonderful faculty and mentors, the university life and the pretty city of Nottingham, everything has been an integral part of my overall development.
My current role has been possible because I worked at the Central bank – the Reserve Bank of India. I have always been an active participant in extra-curricular activities apart from studies and UoN gives ample opportunities for that, again, very important for holistic growth. I will always take pride of my association with the University of Nottingham."
"I am now an Associate Planning Engineer for the New York Independent System Operator (NYISO). I am responsible for evaluating the reliability of New York bulk electric system and ensuring sufficient resources to keep the lights on in the future (10-year look-ahead).
As an active member of National Academy of Engineering and Women in Communication Engineering (WICE), I want to encourage and support women to see the opportunities available to them. Before working at NYISO, I was the only female power engineer, so for me it’s really important that women continue to study engineering”.
- Degree: MSc Renewable Energy and Architecture (2007)
- Current job: Green Building, Renewable Energy, BIPV, Daylighting and Energy Simulation expert,Founder and CEO of EnerArch, Founding partner at Aelius Turbina LLP
“My experience at Nottingham completely changed my life & career, it helped me gain useful technical knowledge of integration of new renewable energy technologies into a building which opened whole new avenues of innovative ideas and contribution to real energy projects. I got a campus placement in URS LTD UK where I gained valuable experience on Green Building and Renewable Energy. When I returned to India I started my own entrepreneurial journey with Aelius Turbina LLP, which was awarded ‘Top 10 most promising Green Energy Start-Up of India’.”
- Degree: LLM International Law (2009)
- Current job: Advocate on Record, Supreme Court of India
- Degree: Finance, Accounting, and Management (2009)
- Current job: Country Head, Foods and Inns Limited
Connect with us
Senior Recruitment Adviser (India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Nepal)
Based in New Delhi
Recruitment Adviser (West India)
Based in Mumbai
Recruitment Adviser (South India)
Based in Bangalore
Assistant Recruitment Adviser - India
Based in Mumbai
Our official representatives in India can assist you with applying for our courses, visa processes and preparing to study with us.
We do not work with Expert Career Group.
About our overseas representatives
We regularly travel in India to meet with prospective students and their families, visit schools and to attend over 80 education fairs and other events each year.
Meet us in India
You are also very welcome to visit our campuses in Nottingham for an open day or an independent visit.
Visit us in Nottingham