Brewing Science MRes


Fact file

MRes Brewing Science
1 year full-time
Entry requirements
Other requirements

If these grades are not met, English preparatory courses are available
Start date
Sutton Bonington Campus
Tuition fees
You can find fee information on our fees table.


This flexible course is designed for individuals seeking to develop the laboratory skills needed for a career in research and development, particularly within the food and beverage industry.
Read full overview

The MRes Brewing Science is a research based degree designed for individuals seeking to gain entry into this thriving and progressive sector. This flexible course will help you develop the laboratory skills needed for a career in research and development, particularly within the food and beverage industry.

While covering the scientific principles of brewing, the course allows you to focus on a novel research-based project. Projects are targeted towards subject areas of industrial significance, potentially leading to process improvements and optimisation, as well as helping you develop a detailed knowledge of particular areas of the brewing process. 

Key facts

  • Research projects are typically hosted within the purpose-built Brewing and Bioenergy Building which is equipped with a state of the art pilot scale brewery. 
  • The course is taught and supervised by staff from theSchool of Biosciences with expertise in brewing and related sciences, together with contributions from specialist brewing practitioners.
  • The UK Midlands region has strong historic links to brewing and our campus is situated just a short drive away from the famous brewing centre of Burton-upon-Trent. 
  • The School of Biosciences is one of the largest and strongest schools of its kind in the UK.The school is ranked the no.1 research environment in the UK (for agriculture, veterinary and food science) in the 2014 REF (Research Excellence Framework). 97% of our work (in the Schools of Biosciences and Veterinary Medicine and Science ) was judged to be of international quality.
  • The Sutton Bonington Campus is a self-contained site in the beautiful countryside of South Nottinghamshire (10 miles south of Nottingham City).

Course details

This MRes course comprises a major brewing research project worth 150-160 credits, 20-30 credits of taught subject modules and up to 20 credits of generic training courses and optional modules.

The structure of the MRes is very flexible, allowing you to fit your research project around taught classes.

As a  rough  guide,  approximately 85% of the course involves laboratory-based research work. The other 15% involves a taught course which is delivered through elearning and intensive week-long residential courses held at the University each semester. These residential courses incorporate lectures, seminars, workshops, laboratory practicals, industrial visits and tutorials. The course can be taken on a full or part-time basis.

Research projects are typically conducted on site within laboratories at the University, although there may be provision to undertake them within laboratories of an industrial partner (if you have secured one).
Taught modules are usually completed within the early part of the course, providing a good knowledge base for the research project. 


Course delivery 

For the research component of this degree, students will be allocated a supervisor with the relevant expertise to support the project. Full provision will be made for laboratory training and acquisition of relevant techniques.

The taught component is delivered through a combination of interactive elearning and intensive advanced residential courses. Full access to a library of electronic brewing resources is provided. As a guide, 75% of the taught component is delivered via interactive e-learning which can be undertaken at any time. The remaining 25% of the taught component is delivered through intensive week-long residential courses held at the University each semester incorporating lectures, seminars, workshops, laboratory practicals, industrial visits and tutorials.



The MRes requires 180 credits for completion. The research project is a significant portion of the qualification and comprises 150-160 credits. 
You will take a minimum of 20 credits (maximum 30 credits) of taught modules. Typical taught modules can be viewed below:

Raw Materials for Brewing

Brewery Yeast Management

Brewhouse Processes

Fermentation and Yeast Handling

Beer maturation

Brewery Waste Management and Environment Issues

Brewing Microbiology

Beer flavour development and sensory analysis

Packaging of Beer

The modules we offer are inspired by the research interests of our staff and as a result may change for reasons of, for example, research developments or legislation changes. This list is an example of typical modules we offer, not a definitive list.



UK/EU students

You are encouraged to locate funding from industrial partners. Only limited grants are available for University supported studentships.

Please visit the University's Graduate School pages

International and EU students

The University of Nottingham offers a range of masters scholarships for international and EU students from a wide variety of countries and areas of study.

Applicants must receive an offer of study before applying for our scholarships. Please note the closing dates of any scholarships you are interested in and make sure you submit your masters course application in good time so that you have the opportunity to apply for them.

The International Office also provides information and advice for international and EU students on financing your degree, living costs, external sources of funding and working during your studies.

Find out more on our scholarships, fees and finance webpages for international applicants.



Average starting salary and career progression

In 2015, 97% of postgraduates in the School of Biosciences who were available for employment had secured work or further study within six months of graduation.*

*Known destinations of full-time home postgraduates, 2014/15.

Career prospects and employability

Those who take up a postgraduate research opportunity with us will not only receive support in terms of close contact with supervisors and specific training related to your area of research, you will also benefit from dedicated careers advice from our Careers and Employability Service.  Individual guidance appointments, career management training programme, access to resources and invitations to events including skills workshops and recruitment fairs  are just some of the ways in which they can help you develop your full potential, whether you choose to continue within an academic setting or are looking at options outside of academia.

Get in touch
+44 (0)115 951 6610
Make an enquiry


Brewing Science Course Administrator
School of Biosciences
The University of Nottingham
Sutton Bonington Campus
LE12 5RD
Science videos

Science videos


Student Recruitment Enquiries Centre

The University of Nottingham
King's Meadow Campus
Lenton Lane
Nottingham, NG7 2NR

t: +44 (0) 115 951 5559
f: +44 (0) 115 951 5812
w: Frequently asked questions
Make an enquiry