Student Services

Student Complaints and Academic Appeals (UNUK)

Complaints and Academic Appeals

We want all of our students to get the most out of their time at the University of Nottingham and if things are getting in the way of this, it is very important that you let us know. Ideally you should speak to someone about your concerns, e.g. your personal tutor, course lead or Student Services, to give them the chance to understand the issue and offer any support or advice they can.  

Where this isn’t possible, or hasn’t fixed the problem, then you may wish to consider the Academic Appeals or Student Complaints procedures. You need to be aware that there are strict timescales for bringing complaints and appeals, details can be found in the relevant procedures. If you intend to make an appeal or raise a complaint but are concerned you will not be able to comply with the submission timescales, then you should request an extension to the deadline by using the generic appeal or complaint email addresses found below.

Which one is it?

Complaints and appeals are separate with different processes and guidelines. 

Complaints are, broadly speaking, for all service issues, academic or non-academic. This could include anything about your experience of study, accommodation or support services.  Full details can be found in section 4 of the Student Complaint Policy

Academic Appeals relate to decisions made by progression or classification examination boards or Extenuating Circumstances panels and usually concern your academic progress, e.g. failure of programme, undertaking reassessments. There are rules about when you can and can’t appeal. Full details can be found in the Academic Appeals Policy

 Complaint or Appeal

This is a very simple version, please check the full policies for details.

If you are unsure which process is more appropriate for your situation, or you think it covers both, then you can take a look at the diagram below. You can also ask for guidance from the Students’ Union Advice Centre. 

The Complaints and Conduct Team can only advise on the operational process of the Academic Appeals and Student Complaints policies and procedures. 

Academic Appeals policy/procedure queries: 

Student Complaint policy/procedures queries:  

If you require any of this information in an alternative format, please contact the University's Alternative Formats Service.





Student Services

Portland Building, University of Nottingham
University Park
Nottingham, NG7 2RD

Contact us