The Student Code of Discipline provides information on the expected standards of behaviour for all students at the University of Nottingham. These expectations include:
- behaving in a manner that supports and respects all members of the community, both at the university and more broadly, creating an inclusive environment
- ensuring behaviour doesn’t interfere with the activities of the university or any of it’s community
- understanding what behaviour is and isn’t acceptable at the university and abiding by the standards set out
- understanding the potential impact of your behaviour on others
The Code of Discipline sets out examples of behaviour that are not acceptable at the university. If concerns arise about potential breaches of this code, a disciplinary process may be undertaken.
We have included some examples of unacceptable behaviours here, but this is not an exhaustive list and the university is able to initiate disciplinary procedures in a range of circumstances that may not be detailed here:
- Abusive or offensive behaviour, including harassment, bullying and victimisation
- Sexual misconduct
- The use of physical violence, offensive or threatening behaviour
- Supply, use, possession or cultivation of any illegal substances
- Committing a criminal offence on university premises or that affects other members of the university community, damages property or the university’s reputation
- Misuse, or unauthorised use of university premises, equipment or property
- Disruption, improper interference or obstruction to university activities, functions and duties
- Possession, misuse or discharge of a weapon outside of approved places
- Breaching a university regulation, procedure or policy, or failing to comply with a penalty
Disciplinary action may include the university taking immediate action to safeguard staff, students or others; a formal investigation of the allegations, and presentation to a Senate Disciplinary Committee.
If a student has found to have breached the Student Code of Discipline, there are a range of penalties that may be imposed, including:
- Placing conditions such as limiting access to specific activities or parts of the university
- Paying compensation for damage caused
- Formal warning
- Suspension from the university
- Expulsion from the university
You are responsible for making yourself familiar with the Code of Discipline for Students and all policies and regulations applicable to you.