Education and Student Experience Committee
The Education and Student Experience Committee is a committee of University Executive Board. The Committee has oversight of the implementation of the University’s strategy and policies relating to Education and Student Life and will formulate future strategies in this area.
Without limiting the general responsibilities as described above:
- Monitor overall implementation of the Education and Student Life section of the University’s strategy and formulate future strategies in this area.
- Have overall responsibility for the University’s academic quality and standards.
- Oversee and support the activities of Student Services and the Service Centres.
- Oversee and support the services provided by the Director of Campus Life.
- Oversee and support the activities of the Careers and Employability Service.
- Ensure effective cooperation between all relevant units and faculty teams.
- Monitor and respond to relevant external developments.
- Coordinate with parallel activities at UNMC and UNNC.
- Receive regular reports from Teaching & Learning Committee and Quality & Standards Committee
- To establish such sub-groups as may be required to deliver specific areas of the Committee’s remit.
- To receive reports and updates from its sub-committees and where relevant from other University Executive Board committees.
- To receive and deliver reports and updates to Senate and University Executive Board as required.
3. Delegated Authority
The delegated financial authority of the Committee is £250k or as stated in the Financial Regulations.:
Pro-Vice-Chancellor, Education and Student Experience
Vice Provosts for Teaching and Learning at UNNC and UNMC
Associate Pro-Vice-Chancellor Teaching and Learning
Faculty Associate Pro-Vice-Chancellors for Education and the Student Experience
Chair of Quality and Standards Committee
Director of Student Services (Service Delivery)
Director of Student Services (Service Development)
2 Representatives from the Registrar’s Department covering Campus Life, Careers & Employability, and Sport & Physical Recreation
Students' Union Education Officer
Students' Union Postgraduate Officer
Student Education Officers at UNMC and UNNC
Two members to be selected through the Committee Membership Selection Process
The Senior Manager Quality and Standards, Director of Professional Development and the Director of Libraries, Research and Learning Resources will be in attendance at meetings as appropriate but are not members of the Committee.
4.2 Chair and Support
The Committee will be convened and chaired by the Pro-Vice-Chancellor, Education and Student Experience. The Secretary will be supplied by Governance and Executive Support.
4.3 Frequency of Meetings
The Committee will meet termly, and the Chair shall call additional meetings where necessary. The Committee will delegate activity to task-forces and professional service departments as appropriate.
Members of the Committee are not able to nominate a deputy to attend the meeting on their behalf.
A quorum will be half the regular membership plus one.
4.6 Term of Office
The term of office for the members selected by the Committee Membership Selection Group is two years. Some of these members may be reappointed for a further year with the agreement of the Chair in order to maintain an appropriate balance between turnover and experience on the Committee. The term of office for student representatives is one year. Other members are ex officio.
4.7 Reporting and Review
The Committee will report to University Executive Board and Senate as required. The effectiveness and the membership of the Committee will be reviewed annually. The Committee will receive reports from its sub-groups.
(ratified at Education and Student Experience Committee 24.10.18)
Return to Committees list