Education and Student Experience Committee
The Education and Student Experience Committee is a committee of Senate. The Committee has oversight of the implementation of the University’s strategy and policies relating to Education and Student Experience and will formulate future strategies in this area.
Without limiting the general responsibilities as described above:
- Monitor overall implementation of the Education and Student Experience section of the University’s strategy and formulate future strategies in this area.
- Have overall responsibility for the University’s academic quality and standards.
- Receive regular reports from UNM and UNNC and coordinate parallel activities.
- Oversee and support the activities of Registry and Academic Affairs.
- Oversee and support the activities of Student and Campus Life.
- Oversee and support the activities of the Careers and Employability Service.
- Monitor performance against the institutional key performance indicators for Education and Student Experience, including the access and participation plan, and progress to reduce risks identified in the University risk register.
- Promote effective cooperation between all relevant units and faculty teams.
- Monitor and respond to relevant external developments.
- Act as oversight for the governance for the University teaching timetable.
- Receive regular reports from Teaching and Learning Committee and Student Experience Committee.
- Establish such sub-groups as may be required to deliver specific areas of the Committee’s remit.
- Receive reports and updates from the Committee’s sub-committees and where relevant from other Senate or University Executive Board committees.
- Deliver reports and updates to Senate on its activities for consideration and receive reports from Senate as required.
- Provide reports and updates for University Executive Board to receive as required.
- The Chair of the Committee is accountable for the decisions of the Committee which includes but is not limited to decisions with a financial impact and will liaise with the chairs of other committees and other budget holders where there is overlap in responsibility.
3. Delegated Authority
The delegated financial authority of the Committee is £2m or as stated in the Financial Regulations.
Pro-Vice-Chancellor Education and Student Experience
Vice Provosts for Teaching and Learning at UNNC and UNM
Associate Pro-Vice-Chancellor Teaching and Curriculum Leadership
Associate Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Researcher Academy and Researcher Career Development
5 Faculty Associate Pro-Vice-Chancellors for Education and the Student Experience
2 Senate Members
Students’ Union Education Officer
Students’ Union Liberation Officer
Student Education Officers at UNM and UNNC
Two members to be selected through the Committee Membership Selection Process.
The Associate Director of Education Excellence Support and Strategic Delivery Lead will be in attendance at meetings as appropriate but are not a member of the Committee.
4.2 Chair and support
The Committee will be convened and chaired by the Pro-Vice-Chancellor, Education and Student Experience. The Secretary will be supplied by the Governance and Executive Support.
4.3 Frequency of meetings
The Committee will meet quarterly, and the Chair shall call additional meetings where necessary. The Committee will delegate activity to task-forces and professional service departments as appropriate.
Members of the Committee are not able to nominate a deputy to attend the meeting on their behalf.
A quorum will be half the regular membership plus one.
4.6 Term of Office
The term of office for the members selected by the Committee Membership Selection Group is two years. Some of these members may be reappointed for a further year with the agreement of the Chair in order to maintain an appropriate balance between turnover and experience on the Committee. The term of office for student representatives is one year. Other members are ex officio.
4.7 Reporting and Review
Senate will receive, consider and respond to reports from the Committee on its activities as required. University Executive Board will receive and note reports from the Committee as required. The effectiveness and the membership of the Committee will be reviewed annually. The Committee will receive reports from its sub-groups including:
- KPI Steering Group
- Student Voice Strategy Group
- Teaching and Learning Committee
- Student Experience Committee
- Sustainability Education Working Group
- Access and Participation Plan Steering Group
- Student Engagement and Attendance Programme Board
(Terms of Reference Approved on 27 September 2023)
Return to Committees list