University Research Integrity and Research Ethics Committee
Terms of Reference
- To define the University's research integrity and research ethics policy.
- To establish the University's process and procedures for providing oversight of research integrity and ethical review.
- To provide quality assurance of such procedures.
- To ensure and monitor best practice of research integrity and research ethics across the University.
- To advise the Research Committee on research integrity and research ethics components of the Code of Research Conduct and Research Ethics, and legal and statutory requirements.
- To champion the training and the embedding of a culture of research integrity and good practice across all areas of the University.
- Review and approve the University of Nottingham Annual Statement on Research Integrity.
- To take into consideration differences between campuses and international legal frameworks and set minimum requirements for international research environments.
Chair: Professor Penny Gowland
APVC for Graduate School and Researcher Career Development or nominee: Dr Jane Wellens
Director of Research and Innovation or nominee: Dr Pip Peakman
Faculty Research Ethics representatives (Arts): Dr Dominic Thompson
Faculty Research Ethics representatives (Engineering): Dr Ed Morris
Faculty Research Ethics representatives (Medicine): Professor John Williams
Faculty Research Ethics representatives (Science): Professor Kate Millar
Faculty Research Ethics representatives (Social Sciences): Dr Melanie Jordan
Director of Governance & Assurance: Jason Carter
Head of Research Governance: Angie Shone
Academic Member - UNM: Professor Steve Stewart-Williams
Academic Member - UNNC: Professor Cong Cao
Animal Welfare and Ethical Review Body (AWERB): Caroline Bergmann
Postgraduate Student representative: (Students' Union): TBC
Lay Members (University Chaplaincy): Joanne Peek
Lay Member (Human Resources): Helen Dunn
Lay Member (BAME staff network Outreach Manager): Dr Ifunanya Ikhile
Secretary: Head of Research Integrity - Ali Alshukry
Terms of Office
Academic and lay members will serve a three year period of office on this Committee. All terms of office begin with immediate effect. The student representative will rotate on an annual basis.
(terms of reference approved by the Committee, 26 May 2020; membership updated 11 November 2022)
Return to Committees list