Global Engagement Committee
The Global Engagement Engagement Committee is a committee of the University Executive Board. The Committee will oversee the development of the University's International Strategy.
Without limiting the general responsibilities as described above:
- To guide, support and monitor the effective implementation of the University's International Strategy.
- To support and reinforce the embedment of internationalisation activities across all academic disciplines throughout the University.
- To encourage and support an interdisciplinary and cross-functional approach to developing international teaching partnerships with key overseas institutions across the globe.
- To develop and support plans to engage with leading international institutions and global businesses, in order to produce world-leading research, innovation and impact.
- To work with Faculty Pro-Vice-Chancellors and Heads of School/Heads of Department to ensure effective engagement of academic units in implementing the University's International Strategy.
- To develop and support plans to engage further with the student body to enrich their learning experience through international mobility, including with industry and between the University's campuses in the UK, China and Malaysia.
- To develop and support plans to engage further with overseas alumni as active ambassadors of the University.
- To establish such sub-groups as may be required to deliver specific areas of the Committee's remit.
- To receive reports and updates from the Committee's sub-committees and where relevant from other University Executive Board committees.
- To receive from and deliver reports and updates to University Executive Board as required.
Pro-Vice-Chancellor, Global Engagement): Professor Nick Miles
Associate Pro-Vice-Chancellor, Research, Strategy and Performance
Associate Pro-Vice-Chancellor, Industrial Strategy, Business Engagement and Impact
Faculty of Arts, Global Engagement Lead
Faculty of Engineering, Global Engagement Lead
Faculty of Medicine and Health Science, Global Engagement Lead
Faculty of Social Sciences, Global Engagement Lead
Faculty of Science, Global Engagement Lead
Chief Marketing and Communications Officer
Director of Advancement
Director of the Office of Global Engagement
Director of Inter-Campus Collaboration
Director of Global and Political Affairs
Associate Director of Careers and Employability
nominated by the Students' Union
Three members chosen through the Committee Membership Selection Process
The Director of the Asia Business Centre will attend meetings as appropriate but is not a member of the Committee.
3.2 Chair and Support
The Committee will be convened and chaired by Pro-Vice-Chancellor, Global Engagement. The Secretary will be supplied by Governance and Executive Support.
3.3 Frequency of Meetings
The Committee will meet quarterly and the Chair shall call additional meetings where necessary. The Committee shall delegate activity to sub-groups or committees as appropriate.
Members of the Committee are not able to nominate a deputy to attend the meeting on their behalf.
A quorum will be half the regular membership plus one.
3.6 Term of Office
The term of office for the members selected by the Committee Membership Selection Group is two years. Some of these members may be reappointed for a further year with the agreement of the Chair in order to maintain an appropriate balance between turnover and experience on the Committee. The term of office for the representative nominated by the Students' Union is one year. Other members are ex officio.
3.7 Reporting and Review
The Committee will report to University Executive Board as required. The effectiveness and the membership of the Committee will be reviewed annually.
Sub-committees and task and finish groups will report into the Committee as required
(ratified at Global Engagement Committee 30.11.18)
Return to Committees list