Environmental Sustainability Committee
The Committee is a Committee of the University Executive Board. The Committee has executive responsibility for the development and implementation of environmental sustainability across the University. This will include providing strategic direction, accountability, and authorisation.
The Committee shall ensure there is an integrated, proactive approach to environmental sustainability across the University that is informed by best practice, and supports the achievement of the University’s values, objectives and strategy. The Committee will work in close partnership with other parts of the University’s governance structures.
Without limiting the general responsibilities as described above:
- To develop, implement and oversee the University’s approach to environmental sustainability, and to drive and oversee the University’s commitment to delivery.
- To be assured that environmental sustainability is embedded across the University’s policies and activities and in particular is part of its decision making processes.
- To establish and review relevant KPIs, and to monitor institutional performance in relation to environmental sustainability.
- To advise UEB on best practice and innovation from within and external to the sector.
- To recommend priorities for investment.
- To receive annual reports from UNNC and UNM on environmental sustainability.
- To deliver reports and updates to the University Executive Board as required including an annual report.
- To establish such sub-groups as may be required to deliver specific areas of the Committee’s remit.
- To receive reports and updates from its sub-committees and where relevant from other committees, including other University Executive Board committees.
- The Chair of the Committee is accountable for the decisions of the Committee which includes but is not limited to decisions with a financial impact and will liaise with the chairs of other committees and other budget holders where there is overlap in responsibility.
3. Delegated Authority
The delegated financial authority of the Committee is £500k or as stated in the Financial Regulations.
Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Education and Student Experience
Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Research and Knowledge Exchange
Two academics with a research focus on sustainability
Chief Financial Officer
Director of Estates and Facilities
Development and Sustainability Director
Head of Procurement
UNM and UNNC
One representative from both UNM and UNNC
To be nominated by the Students' Union
Four to be selected through the Committee Membership Selection Process
The Environmental Manager may be in attendance at meetings but is not a member of the Committee. Specialist
members of staff may be invited to be in attendance at meetings as appropriate..
4.2 Chair and Support
The Committee will be convened and chaired by a Faculty Pro-Vice-Chancellor. The Secretary will be supplied by Governance and Executive Support.
4.3 Frequency of Meetings
The Committee will meet quarterly and the Chair shall call additional meetings where necessary. The Committee shall delegate activity to sub-groups or committees as appropriate.
Members of the Committee are not able to nominate a deputy to attend the meeting on their behalf.
A quorum will be half the regular membership plus one.
4.6 Term of Office
The term of office for the members selected by the Committee Membership Selection Group is two years. Some of these members may be reappointed for a further year with the agreement of the Chair in order to maintain an appropriate balance between turnover and experience on the Committee.
The term of office for the representative nominated by the Students’ Union is one year. Other members are ex officio.
4.7 Reporting and Review
The Committee will report to University Executive Board. The effectiveness and the membership of the Committee will be reviewed annually.
(approved by Environmental Sustainability Committee on 28.09.2021)
Return to Committees list