Planning and Resources Committee
The Planning and Resources Committee is a committee of the University Executive Board. Its main purposes are the conduct of the higher level planning and resource management of the University, to monitor, measure and provide challenge to Faculties and Professional Services in the progress of key performance measures and to facilitate effective risk management.
Without limiting the general responsibilities as described above:
- To oversee the business planning process.
- To monitor the performance of the University against its KPIs.
- To provide effective challenge and support to the Faculties and Professional services in the achievement of KPIs.
- To report progress adverse to the achievement of KPIs to University Executive Board and include recommendations to improve performance.
- To oversee the development of the University’s budget and recommend it to University Executive Board and Council for approval.
- To approve resource allocations within the constraints of the University’s budget and financial plans including temporary and time limited budget uplifts.
- To make recommendations to University Executive Board on additional investment priorities and opportunities.
- To have oversight of the governance of programme delivery for the Digital, Research and Estates programmes.
- To oversee unit level risk management including to receive reports on and copies of unit risk registers.
- To recommend University annual student number targets to University Executive Board where these depart from agreed size shape plans.
- To act as oversight for the governance for the University teaching timetable.
- To establish such sub-groups as may be required to deliver specific areas of the Committee’s remit.
- To receive reports and updates from its sub-committees and where relevant from other University Executive Board committees.
- To receive from and deliver reports to University Executive Board as required.
3. Delegated Authority
The delegated financial authority of the Committee is £2 million or as stated in the Financial Regulations.
Pro-Vice-Chancellor, Research and Knowledge Exchange
Pro-Vice-Chancellor, Education and Student Experience
Chief Financial Officer
to be nominated by the Students' Union
Four to be selected through the Committee Membership Selection Process
4.2 Chair and Support
The Committee will be convened and chaired by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor. The Academic Secretary will act as Secretary.
4.3 Frequency of Meetings
The Committee will meet monthly with every third meeting replaced by Planning and Performance Panels. The Chair shall call additional meetings where necessary. The Committee shall delegate activity to sub-groups or committees as appropriate. The membership of the Planning and Performance Panels shall include sub-sets of the membership
of the Committee.
Members of the Committee are not able to nominate a deputy to attend the meeting on their behalf.
A quorum will be half the regular membership plus one.
4.6 Term of Office
The term of office for the members selected by the Committee Membership Selection Group is two years. Some of these members may be reappointed for a further year with the agreement of the Chair in order to maintain an appropriate balance between turnover and experience on the Committee. The term of office for the representative nominated by the Students' Union is one year. Other members are ex officio.
4.7 Reporting and Review
The Committee will report to University Executive Board. The effectiveness and the membership of the Committee will be reviewed annually.
The following groups will report into the Committee:
Commercial Governance Committee
Financial Strategy Taskforce
Flexible Investment Fund Panel
Reputation and Recruitment Committee
The Committee will also receive reports and papers from other committees where relevant including but not limited to Digital Strategy Committee, Estates and Infrastructure Committee and Research Committee.
(last amended 21.09.18)
Return to Committees list