Health and Safety Committee
Terms of Reference
To consider, comment on and approve the University health and safety policies and management arrangements, so as to ensure that the University meets all legislative requirements and best practice standards. To seek assurance in relation to health and safety performance and promote a positive health and safety culture. To act as the formal consultative forum for the University in relation to health and safety.
The Health and Safety Committee, in line with University policy, has the ability to form and disband sub-committees as required.
An executive group will be formed by the Chair, the purpose of which will be to maintain momentum of Committee business in between meetings.
- To monitor the University's performance in terms of health and safety compliance.
- To monitor the occurrence of health and safety related incidents including near misses, reports of any enquiries into them under the approved procedures and identify any implications for the development of health and safety policies and procedures.
- To receive reports of non-compliance and non-conformity from external agencies, including enforcing authorities.
- To act as the formal consultative committee of the University in relation to health and safety.
- To be kept informed of trends and developments in health and safety and to comment on their adoption and possible implementation.
- Review and approve safety policies and arrangements, where required for submission to the Council, and monitor their implementation.
- Receive and review reports from sub-committees and coordinate provision of relevant safety advice or information on good practice across the University.
- Identify matters of concern to staff and students and encourage their support for and engagement with securing appropriate workplace health, safety and welfare standards.
- To consider and comment on projects and work that have significant health and safety implications.
Chair: Professor Sam Kingman, FPVC (Faculty of Engineering)
Other Faculty Pro-Vice-Chancellors: Professor Jeremy Gregory (Arts), Professor Jonathan Van-Tam (M&HS), Professor Zoe Wilson (Science), Professor Todd Landman (Social Sciences)
Registrar: Dr Paul Greatrix
Chief Financial Officer: Margaret Monckton
Director of Estates and Facilities: Vacant
Director of Human Resources (or nominee): Helen Dunn
Estates Operations Director: Mark Hubbard
External member of University Council: Sonya Leydecker
Eight Health and Safety Representatives as follows reflecting the spread of workplace hazards:
UCU (2 representatives): Dr Oscar Siles Brugge, Dr Cyril Rauch
UNITE (3 representatives): John Corrie, 2 vacancies
UNISON (3 representatives): Paula Campbell, 2 vacancies
Secretary: Chris Wynn (Interim Director of Health and Safety)
The Director of Governance and Assurance will be in attendance at meetings but is not a member of the Committee.
(membership updated November 2022)
Return to Committees list