Teaching and Learning Committee
Terms of Reference
- To identify and set priority areas in relation to the teaching and curriculum elements of the University Strategy and the Education and Student Experience Strategic Development Plan (ESE SDP), and to inform the deployment of resources to meet those strategic objectives. To monitor progress with the teaching and curriculum components of the ESE SDP Action Plan.
- To oversee the development and implementation of policies necessary for the development and leadership of teaching and the curriculum, the assurance and enhancement of quality and standards, and the delivery of outstanding student experience and outcomes as measured by external benchmarks such as the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) and the Access and Participation Plan (APP). To ensure that appropriate mechanisms are put in place, to ensure that Schools / Departments are supported to deliver an outstanding student experience.
- To monitor relevant internal and external developments and take account of them in the development of strategy and policies.
- To consider University responses to relevant consultation proposals from external bodies.
- To promote the student voice and work with the Students' Union to enhance the education and student experience of all undergraduate and postgraduate taught students across the institution.
- To make regular reports to the Education and Student Experience Committee (ESEC) on its activities and plans.
- To inform and be advised by stakeholders in Registry and Academic Affairs, Careers, Libraries, Learning Technology, Campus Life and Welfare, Estates, External Relations, Digital and Technology Services (DTS), and Widening Participation (WP) on matters related to education and student experience.
- To consult with the Student Experience Committee (SEC) on matters relevant to both committees.
- To receive reports from, and commission work from, Quality and Standards Committee (QSC) with regards to quality assurance.
- To consider the above in respect of the University's commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion.
Chair - University Associate PVC for Teaching and Curriculum Leadership (Chair): Mark Bradley
Faculty Associate Pro-Vice-Chancellors (APVCs) for Education and Student Experience:
Chris Woodard (Arts); Stewart McWilliam (Engineering, attending in place of Phil Shipway);
Michael Randall (Medicine & Health Sciences); Katharine Reid (Science);
Louise Crewe (Social Sciences)
University Senior Tutor: Pam Hagan
Director of Libraries: Sue Ackermann
Director of Registry and Academic Affairs: Chris Hulse
Chair of Quality and Standards Committee: Jonathan Tallant
Associate Director - Partnering and Innovation: Chris Parry
Director of Careers and Employability: Nalayini Thambar
Deputy Director of Student Recruitment: Emma Szembek
Director of Development and Sustainability: Andy Nolan
Associate Director of Education Excellence Support: Alison Reeves
Students’ Union Education Officer: Chris Taylor
Quality and Enhancement Officer (Secretary): Craig Goodere
* Faculty APVCs should send delegates if they cannot attend (Faculty Heads of ESE, or equivalent). Others may send delegates by Chair's permission.
Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Education and Student Experience: Sarah Speight
Vice Provosts for Teaching and Learning at UNM and UNNC (attending when in UK):
Hazel Melanie Ramos (UNM); K Cohen Tan (UNNC)
Faculty Digital Learning Directors (only one attends per meeting): Cecilia Goria / Neil Hughes (Arts);
Becca Ferrari / Luis Canhoto Neves (Engineering); Richard Windle (Medicine and Health Sciences);
Cristina de Matteis (Science); Helen Williams (Social Sciences)
Deputy Director, Libraries: Steve Stapleton
Associate Director (Teaching and Learning), Libraries: Elizabeth Newall
Associate Director for Learning Technology: Nigel Owen
Associate Director of Educational Excellence: Carmen Tomas
IT Business Partner: Adam Moore
Deputy Director of Registry and Academic Affairs: Jilly Court
Head of Academic Processes: Sandra Mienczakowski
Associate Director for Regulatory Compliance - OfS: Lisa Stocks
Director of Digital and Marketing: Nicola Anderton
Professional Development Officer (Teaching and Learning): Jackie Cawkwell
Students’ Union Postgraduate Officer: Brad Ewles
Race Equality Charter Academic Lead: Nagamani Bora
* Chair to invite others on an ad hoc basis
Frequency: one per month (two hours)
Reports to: Education and Student Experience Committee (ESEC)
Reports from: Quality and Standards Committee (QSC); Senior Tutors Network (STN); Educational Excellence Group (EEG); Education and Student Experience Network (ESEN); Learning Spaces Advisory Group (LSAG); Academic Representation Group (ARG); PGT Strategy Group (PGTSG); Student Digital Capabilities Steering Group; Professional Competencies Working Group; Programme Design Working Group; Engage Board; Teaching Recognition Board; e-Assessment Project Board (e-AB); Video and Lecture Capture Review Group; Accessibility Working Group; Virtual Computing Experience Group; Academic Careers Framework Group; SET-SEM Working Group; Social Impact Game Steering Group; REC On-Boarding Module Steering Group
Return to Committees list