The presence of Unitarians in the St Ann’s Well district of Nottingham began with the establishment of a Sunday School in 1860. The Sunday School was for local members of the congregation of High Pavement Unitarian Church in the centre of Nottingham. In 1863 the foundation stone was laid for a new church, on the corner of Peas Hill Road and Raglan Street in St Ann’s. The church opened on 16 June 1864 as a daughter church of High Pavement. Services in the church ceased after February 1932, but the Sunday School continued until April or May 1935. The premises were sold, and have since been demolished.
Records of Christ Church, Peas Hill, can be found in a separate section within the High Pavement collection (Hi Z). The records include minute books, 1866-1929; account books, 1862-1918; papers relating to the Sunday School, 1895-1935; plans of the building, 1884 and n.d.; and miscellaneous papers, 1863-1916.
There are also some related papers in the records of the North Midland Presbyterian and Unitarian Association:
The High Pavement collection at The University of Nottingham contains two original registers:
The High Pavement and Peas Hill chronicle : a congregational journal (King’s Meadow Campus East Midlands Collection Periodicals: Not)
Next page: Hyson Green Unitarian Mission, Nottingham
Kings Meadow CampusLenton Lane
Nottingham, NG7 2NR
telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 4565
fax: +44 (0) 115 846 8651
Browser does not support script.
Connect with the University of Nottingham through social media and our blogs.
Campus maps | More contact information | Jobs