Nottinghamshire Congregational Union
The Union was one of the regional bodies of the Congregational Church in England and Wales. It was dissolved in 1972 after the merger of most Congregational and Presbyterian churches to form the United Reformed Church.
The collections held at The University of Nottingham contain a few archival records of the Union, and various printed items, in the Castle Gate collection (CU), the Friary Congregational Church collection (Fy), and the Nottingham Auxiliary of the London Missionary Society collection (NLM):
- Minutes of the Nottinghamshire Congregational Union, 1871-1886 (CU/M 3/1)
- Minutes of the Church Extension Committee of the Nottinghamshire Congregational Union, 1961-1968 (CU/M 3/2)
- Minutes of the Nottinghamshire Congregational Union, Northern Division (concerning churches in Mansfield, Retford, Selston, Sutton, Westwood, Worksop and Shirebrook), 1961-1972 (NLM/2)
- Trusts and Investments book, probably of the Nottinghamshire Congregational Union, Northern Division, 1948-1969 (NLM/4)
- Bound annual yearbooks, 1870-1951 and 1950-1963 (CU/V 2/1-14)
- Unbound yearbooks, not a complete series, 1915-1943 (Fy P 3)
- Scrapbook mainly concerning the Nottinghamshire Congregational Union, 1870-1920 (CU/S 2)
- Nottinghamshire Congregational Union newsletters, mid-20th century (Fy P 4/2)
There are pamphlets, reports and other miscellaneous printed papers concerning the work of the nationwide Congregational Church and its fundraising for charities and missions, in various series of the Castle Gate collection (CU) and the Friary collection (Fy).
Derbyshire Record Office holds minutes of the Nottinghamshire Congregational Union, 1931-1948 (D4937/8).
Nottinghamshire Archives hold various archival records of the Union, including memorandum and articles of association, financial records, minutes, accounts, returns to Companies House, charity commissioners schemes, a year book, and notice of dissolution, 1913-1995.
Peel, Albert. These hundred years : a history of the Congregational Union of England and Wales, 1831-1931 (London : Congregational Union of England and Wales, 1931) [Hallward Library BX7176.P4]
Next page: Nottingham Auxiliary of the London Missionary Society