Presbytery of Nottingham
The Presbytery was a regional body made up of representatives from local Presbyterian churches. In Europe, the same organisation is known as a 'classis'. A Presbyterian classis was established in Nottingham in 1654, and its minute book survives in the High Pavement collection (Hi 2 M 1).
The later Presbytery of Nottingham appears, from the surviving records, to have been established in 1918 as a division of the Presbyterian Church of England. It was dissolved in 1972 following the merger of the Presbyterian Church of England with the Congregational Church to form the United Reformed Church.
One minute book of the Presbytery of Nottingham, 1944-1972, is held at The University of Nottingham in the Nottingham Auxiliary of the London Missionary Society collection (NLM/1)
The University also holds copies of 'The Beacon', the news-sheet of the Presbytery of Nottingham Fellowship of Youth, Jan. 1956-Dec. 1960, in the St Andrew’s church collection (AU/So 4/10/1-13)
A further three volumes of minutes of the Presbytery of Nottingham, 1919-1929; 1929-1937; and 1937-1972, are held at Nottinghamshire Archives (NC/IR16/1-4)
Next page: Paton Congregational College, Nottingham