Mansfield Road Baptist Church, Nottingham
Mansfield Road Baptist Church has its origins in a split within the congregation of Stoney Street General Baptist Church in Nottingham in 1849. A portion of the worshippers went with the assistant minister Rev. George Alexander Syme to form a new church. They met at Halifax Place and elsewhere, but built a new chapel in the Romanesque style on Milton Street in 1851.
Milton Street General Baptist Church (Mr P 7/1)
In 1901 the congregation of Broad Street General Baptist Church, which had also split from Stoney Street early in the 19th century, joined Milton Street. In 1912 the worshippers moved out to a new church on the corner of Gregory Boulevard and Sherwood Rise. The Milton Street chapel was sold, and became a lecture hall for the adjacent Mechanics’ Institute.
Mansfield Road Baptist Church (Mr P 3/1)
The Mansfield Road Baptist Church collection held at The University of Nottingham (Mr) is a full record of the life of the church from its foundation in 1849 until the 1940s. It includes lists of the original members who seceded with Rev. Syme, and a complete set of church minutes dated 1849-1946 (Mr M). The collection also contains church handbooks – annual printed volumes containing accounts, membership rolls, and details of clubs and societies - dated 1883-1948 (Mr P 4). There are also lists of members 1849-1925 (Mr R 3), and various orders of service and newspaper cuttings. Records of the Sunday School include minutes of teachers’ meetings, and attendance registers (Mr S). There are also a number of papers of the minister Rev. Samuel Cox, including sermons and notes, c.1863-c.1865 (Mr Co).
There are nine original registers in the Mansfield Road Collection at The University of Nottingham:
- Marriage registers, 1902-1988 (Mr R 5/2-10)
Bradbury, W.J. and Hitchin, H.S. (eds), Mansfield Road Baptist Church in the Centenary year, 1949 ([New Basford?] : Mansfield Road Baptist Church Centenary Committee, ) [King’s Meadow Campus East Midlands Collection Pamphlet Not 3.M70 MAN]
Next page: High Pavement Chapel, Nottingham