Clifton was the last new church to be promoted by the Nottinghamshire Congregational Union. It began with a Sunday School established in 1955. Services began on 3 June 1956. In 1957 Stanley Whiffen was appointed as a student pastor. The following year Rev. Frank Newton was ordained as the church’s first minister. The church hall was opened on 21 January 1961, on the corner of Green Lane and Southchurch Drive in the new Clifton estate. It was intended as the first in a complex of buildings, including a new church in a striking modern design (see the appeal brochure on the right), but the church was never built and the church hall continued to be used for services. The congregation joined the United Reformed Church in 1972.
The only records of the church held at The University of Nottingham are a set of plans and elevations of the proposed church (CU/Z5/P/1-3), and fundraising brochures for building the new church and hall (CU/Z5/C/1-2), both in the Castle Gate collection.
Proposed interior of new Clifton Congregational Church (never built) (CU/Z5/C/1)
Elevations of proposed Clifton Congregational Church and church hall (CU/Z5/P/2)
No registers are known to be in public archives or record offices.
Miller, Ronald J. Forty years of christian witness : Clifton Congregational Church 1957 to Clifton United Reformed Church 1997 ( Nottingham : Ronald J. Millar, 1998) [East Midlands Collection Oversize Pamphlet Not 4U.M72 CLI]
Next page: Friary Congregational Church, West Bridgford, and its predecessor Friar Lane Chapel, Nottingham
Kings Meadow CampusLenton Lane
Nottingham, NG7 2NR
telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 4565
fax: +44 (0) 115 846 8651
Browser does not support script.
Connect with the University of Nottingham through social media and our blogs.
Campus maps | More contact information | Jobs