St Columba’s Church on Mansfield Road was founded in 1896 as a daughter church of St Andrew’s Presbyterian Church. The church buildings stood on the corner with Villa Road. They were designed by Brewill and Baily, architects, of Nottingham, and erected between 1896 and 1900. In 1946 the church was closed and the buildings were sold, creating a fund which went towards extensions and improvements at St Andrew’s. By 1950 the buildings were being used by the Emanuel Full Gospel Church, and by 1956 by the Second Church of Christ, Scientist. In 2011 they were still being used by the Church of Christ, Scientist.
The following list was drawn up by Prof. Malcolm Jones of St Andrew’s-with-Castle Gate URC in September 2010. The dates refer to the dates the ministers were in post.
- Rev. Dr John Forbes (1897-1930)
- Rev. Gilbert Porteous (1930-1939)
- Rev. James Robson (1939-1940)
- Rev. C.C.E. Mercer (locum minister during World War Two)
- Rev. Allan Porter (locum minister during World War Two)
The records of St Columba’s form a separate section within the St Andrew’s Church collection (AU/Z). They include a complete set of general management committee and session minutes, 1896-1946, lists of members (communicants) from the same period, 1896-1946, and a bundle of papers and accounts relating to the sale of St. Columba's Church, Nottingham between 1947 and 1949.
Architectural plans of St Columba's Church by Brewill and Baily, dated 1898, are to be found in another collection (MS 717). The St Columba’s collection also contains a few other plans, and some photographs.
The St Columba’s Church collection at The University of Nottingham contains one original register:
Early annals of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church : Belgrave Square, Nottingham (Nottingham : Thos. N. Storer ; London : Howard House, [1905?]) [King’s Meadow Campus East Midlands Collection Not 3.M72 SAN]
Littlefair, Joseph. St. Andrews Presbyterian Church, Belgrave Square, Nottingham, 1866-1966. ([Nottingham : s.n., 1966]) [King’s Meadow Campus East Midlands Collection Pamphlet Not 3.M72 SAN]
Next page: St Andrew's-with-Castle Gate United Reformed Church, Nottingham