Retford Congregational Church
Retford Congregational Church had its roots in an Independent congregation which bought a chapel in Union Street, Retford, in 1808. A schoolroom was opened in 1809. In 1851 the congregation sold the Union Street chapel to the Wesleyan Reformers and built a new chapel, schoolroom and library on Carolgate in a Romanesque style. An infants’ schoolroom was built in 1877 when the chapel was enlarged. By 1868 the church was part of the Congregational Union of England and Wales. The last marriage register known to have been kept by the church dates from 1963. The church did not join the United Reformed Church in 1972, and may have already closed by then. The buildings have since been demolished.
A small collection of three church books is held at The University of Nottingham (MS 666). The first book contains minutes, 1842-1859. The second contains minutes, 1868-1893, a roll of church members, correspondence, accounts, newspaper cuttings and advertising bills. The third contains minutes, 1893-1908, a roll of church members, and newspaper cuttings and advertising bills.
Two of the church books from Retford Congregational Church held at The University of Nottingham contain register details:
- Baptisms, 1868-1892; marriages, 1875-1880; and burials, 1868-1892 (MS 666/2). Extracted details from this register are available in PDF format: baptisms, 1868-1892; marriages, 1875-1880; burials, 1868-1892
- Baptisms, 1893-1900; and burials, 1893-1900 (MS 666/3). Extracted details from this register are available in PDF format: baptisms, 1893-1900; burials, 1893-1900
Further marriage registers from the Church are held at Nottinghamshire Archives:
- Marriage registers, 1938-1961 and 1963 (NC/IR 2)
Next page: St Andrew’s Presbyterian/United Reformed Church, Nottingham