Stoney Street General Baptist Church, Nottingham
Stoney Street Chapel grew from the congregation of General Baptists formed in Nottingham in 1775. The first pastor, William Fox, was appointed in 1776. The congregation bought the Methodist Tabernacle in Nottingham in 1783 to use for their services, but built a new chapel in 1799. Although it was later referred to as 'Stoney Street' chapel, the chapel was actually situated on Plumptre Place, leading off from Stoney Street. New Sunday School buildings were completed in 1811. A schism in the congregation in 1817 led to the establishment of Broad Street General Baptist Church. Another group of worshippers broke away under Rev. Syme to form Milton Street General Baptist Chapel (later Mansfield Road Baptist Church) in 1849.
Stoney Street Baptist Church closed in 1887, and many of the congregation joined Milton Street. The chapel was converted into buildings for St Mary’s School by the architect T.C. Hine. The buildings were still standing in 2011, but used for commercial purposes.
The records of Stoney Street Church held at The University of Nottingham are within the Mansfield Road Baptist collection (Mr). All the records date from before the schism of 1849.
The earliest document is the Register and church record book, recording the church’s beginnings in 1775, lists of members from 1781, and lists of trustees (Mr R 1). The Register was taken from Stoney Street by by Rev. Smith and later used to record the early years of the Broad Street chapel, 1818-1849.
There is also an early account book, 1810-1826; copies of minutes and correspondence relating to the schism of 1817; and lists of members choosing to stay at Stoney Street in 1849.
Some other records relating to Stoney Street Chapel at held at Nottinghamshire Archives:
The original Register and record book held at The University of Nottingham contains a register of baptisms, 1775-1789 and n.d. (Mr R 1)
One pre-1837 register of births of children associated with Stoney Street General Baptist Chapel is held at The National Archives:
- Birth register 1809-1837 (RG 4/2675)
Microfiche copies of this register can be seen at The National Archives and at Nottinghamshire Archives.
The website www.bmdregisters.co.uk offers paid access to digital images of the register via a subscription. It is free to search the registers on this website.
Indexes to the register are also available as part of the International Genealogical Index (IGI) and can be searched for free on www.familysearch.org.
One original marriage register from Stoney Street is held at Nottinghamshire Archives:
- Marriage register, 1837-1866 (NC BP 31)
Next page: Broad Street General Baptist Chapel, Nottingham