Student Services Financial Support

Funding for Postgraduate students

Information on this page is primarily for UK students or those who have settled status in the UK, are ordinarily resident in the UK and have most recently been resident in England (other than for educational purposes).

If you are an international or EU student, and are looking into funding for a postgraduate course please visit the International Office web pages in the first instance. Please note some EU students may be eligible for the new postgraduate loans - see below.


New Postgraduate Loans available from September 2016

The Government have announced new Postgraduate Loans of up to £10,000 for students studying a taught or research Masters course commencing in September 2016/17

If you are not eligible for the new loans please ensure that before signing up for a course you investigate the funding available, for example through Research Councils, Studentships, Professional & Career Development Loans and charitable trusts.  Visit the University's Graduate School web pages for more funding information. See also the information below.


Professional & Career Development Loans

These are commercial bank loans where the Skills Funding Agency pay the interest on the loan while you are studying and for one month afterwards. You then make repayments as agreed when you took out the loan.

The University of Nottingham is a Professional and Career Development Loans registered Learning Provider - our registration number is 8714

For further information visit ; the National Careers Service web pages or telephone the National Careers Service on +44 (0)800 100900.


WH Revis Bequest Fund

Some limited help with the cost of tuition fees may be available to part-time postgraduate students through this fund.  Applicants should be residents of England or Wales, self financed and unemployed or on a low income. Grants are paid in the form of a direct deduction from tuition fees.

The fund may also offer limited financial assistance to full time postgraduate students with 'home' fee status, who are experiencing financial difficulty. Full time students can apply for help towards living costs only.

The application form for 2015/16 is available to download here PDF file icon  or pick one up at a Student Services Centre from September 2015.


Useful information from HEFCE for Postgraduate Students


Disabled Students Allowances (DSA)

Postgraduate students are also eligible to apply for the Disabled Students Allowances.


The Memorial Scholarship - Theology & Religious Studies

The Memorial Scholarship is awarded to academically talented applicants (as assessed by their School). A maximum of £1,250 is available to award between successful applicants in each academic year.

Please note that the eligibility criteria for this award have been amended - please see below/application form for details.

Eligibility is restricted to two groups of students: 

• Postgraduate taught masters students registered on the Theology and Religious Studies MA and following the Biblical Interpretation and Theology Pathway with a focus on Hebrew Bible

• Postgraduate research students, full-time or part-time registered on the MA (by research) in Theology/Religious Studies, MRes in Theology/Religious Studies or PhD in Theology/Religious Studies and undertaking research in Hebrew Bible.

This fund is now closed for 2015/16. 

Applications are invited if you intend to start a course in 2016/17. Closing date 31 August 2016.


The Lillian M Ruff Postgraduate Scholarship

Dr Lillian M Ruff is a graduate of The University of Nottingham who has generously established this scholarship in her name.

There will be one recipient in 2015/16, being awarded a scholarship equivalent to the full cost of the UK/EU fee for a part-time taught MA course in the School of Humanities at The University of Nottingham.

To be eligible to apply you must meet the following criteria:

• Be enrolled in the first year of a part-time taught postgraduate MA course in the School of Humanities at The University of Nottingham in 2015

• Meet the residency requirements for a ‘home’ or European Union student, and be liable for the relevant home/EU fee.

• Be a self-funded student

• Have a low income which necessitates your continuing to work throughout your course and be working prior to your starting on the course (please see the application form for required evidence). If you are unable to work due to a disability or long term medical condition please highlight this in your supporting statement.

When assessing applications we will also take into consideration:

• Caring responsibilities

• Disability or long-term ill health

• Priority will be given to students studying in the Department of Music

Application form available to download - new closing date of 4th March 2016.




Financial Support

Student Services Centre
B Floor, Portland Building
University Park
Nottingham, NG7 2RD

telephone: +44(0) 115 82 32071
fax: +44(0) 115 95 14376