Volunteer with us
Here you can find our volunteering opportunities - as well as viewing the roles here you can keep updated through our alumni LinkedIn group too.
If you haven't already done so you can also register your interest to volunteer and we'll send you our Connect: Volunteering newsletter which includes upcoming volunteering opportunities.
Our current opportunities are listed below, along with the relevant information needed for you to apply or contact one of the team. Happy volunteering!
Current opportunities - updated January 2023
University of Nottingham Business School
- Volunteer Industry Insights Speaker - Undergraduate Placements: We are looking for a wide range of alumni to share their experiences and industry insights to inspire our current first year undergraduate placement students as they make the first steps towards their future career. These sessions are hosted Monday lunchtimes during term time, guest speakers should prepare around a 30-45 minute presentation on their sector and be prepared to answer questions from our students.
Find out more and apply here
- Volunteer MBA Business Perspectives Series Speaker: This opportunity invites alumni to inspire current students through sharing their career and personal (where appropriate) experiences since graduation, including information on their path to success and any tips or advice they may be able to provide. We are looking for volunteers with industry experience and careers insights, talks should focus on the MBA Vision/Mission and focus on one of its themes: innovation, sustainability, digital, or ethics.
Find out more and apply here
- Become an Entrepreneur in Residence: We are looking to expand our network of Entrepreneurs in Residence to support the work of our Ingenuity Lab. EIRs engage in activities including mentoring Ingenuity Lab businesses and SMEs, delivering business training seminars and aiding academics in their research.
- Global Careers Insights Series: We are looking for volunteer speakers for our PGT Global Careers Insights series. Speakers will be part of a panel made up of 3 speakers from the industry in focus. Each speaker will be asked to prepare a 10-minute presentation on their career, highlighting any insights they have from the industry. This will be followed by a 30 minute Q&A where all speakers wil be invited to answer questions put forward by our current students and potentially recent alumni. We are looking for representation from alumni working in China, South Asia, Africa and the UK as the majority of our MSc student cohorts are from these regions.
We are looking for speakers to support with the following sessions:
- Wednesday 22nd March - Banking and Investment Sector Insights
- Wednesday 29th March - HR Sector Insights
More information and apply here
If you’re interested in any of these activities, then please email our Volunteering and Advocacy Manager for Nottingham University Business School, Emma Winter on email@example.com for more information.
Faculty of Science
- Share your experiences at upcoming career events: We are looking for a wide range of alumni to share their experiences and inspire current students through our careers sessions, helping students navigate their careers after graduation. These sessions require alumni volunteers to give a five-minute presentation about their journey after graduation, followed by a Q&A session.
If you’re interested in getting involved with any these activities, please email the team via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Faculty of Social Sciences
- Register a work placement or work experience opportunity (ongoing): If you or your organisation are interested in providing a work placement or shadowing opportunity for current Nottingham students (virtual, in-person or hybrid) please visit our webpage to find out more and register your placement.
- Sociology and Social Policy Alumni Panel (21 February 5-7pm): Join us for a Where Are They Now style event, to present your career to students, and answer questions about your career journey so far. If you're interested, please register your interest here.
- Geography Alumni Panel (May 2023): We are hosting a Where Are They Now event for Geography Alumni to share their experiences and career journey with current students. If you would be interested in appearing on the Panel, please register your interest here.
Please contact our Volunteering and Advocacy Manager for Social Sciences, Wayne Crawford, for any informal enquiries.
Faculty of Arts
- Where are they Now History (15th February) and Where are they Now English (28th February): If you studied either English or History and would like to speak to current students about your time at university and your career since graduation, we have an exciting opportunity for you to join us for a virtual event. If you would be interested in appearing on either panel, please contact Laura Repton via email@example.com.
- Arts into Tech (15th March) and Arts into Business (22nd March): Did you study and Arts degree, but are now working in Tech or Business? We are planning events to show current students how you used the skills you learnt during your degree to move into the Tech or Business sectors. If you would be interested in sharing your experiences and advice, please contact Laura Repton via firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest.
- Humanities Advisory Panel: We are looking for professionals who are interested in being part of an Advisory Panel for the School of Humanities to facilitate consultation and steer strategic thinking within the School. Members of the panel will provide advice around issues related to the School’s strategy, curriculum, student employability, professional competencies, career pathways and other topical areas. This role offers an exciting opportunity for alumni and employers to be involved in the development of the School, and to contribute to important decision making and strategic activity.
If you would like to make informal enquiries, or register your interest in any of the above opportunities, please contact Laura Repton - Volunteering and Advocacy Manager for the Faculty of Arts.
Support our 2022/23 Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) events
As part of the university's work to improve equality, diversity and inclusion for our community, we regularly run events and activities which draw on the experiences of people who hold particular protected characteristics, for example, these may be aligned with work around gender equality, race equality and LGBTQ+ inclusion.
We are often looking for people who are willing to share their own lived experiences to support and inspire others over the next academic year. If you are interested in getting involved in EDI activities aimed at students, please email email@example.com for an informal chat.
Got a question?
Please refer to our frequently asked questions. If you can't find the answer you're looking for please contact the Volunteering and Advocacy Team.
Our Volunteering Policy provides detail on how we support anyone who gives their time to support the University of Nottingham. Please take the time to read through the policy for full information on volunteering with us.