Presessional English for Academic Purposes (PEAP)
Our PEAP courses are designed to bring your academic and language skills up to the required level, so you can study a foundation, undergraduate, postgraduate or research degree at the University of Nottingham.
Our PEAP courses:
- allow you to practise and improve your English in a genuine academic context, with a focus on integrated reading, writing, listening and speaking
- develop your study skills by working on authentic academic tasks, so that you are prepared for the demands of UK Higher Education
- guide you through the process of producing academic texts, with extensive feedback from your tutors
- give you access to our extensive facilities and support services including our libraries, the university's learning platform, IT services, Student Services, Students' Union and sports facilities
- help you to build a network of friends and peers and to establish yourself as a valued member of our student and academic community
- enable you to gain experience of studying in a university before beginning your degree
To apply for a presessional course, you must have one of the following:
- An offer of further study at degree level within the UK
- Full sponsorship for both presessional and degree programme - evidence must be provided with your application
- Evidence of a submitted application for further study at the University of Nottingham
You will need to provide evidence of your English language level to study on our courses. If you come on a Student Visa, you must have an approved IELTS for UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) purposes (except for joint CAS offers).
If you come on a Short-Term Study Visa (STSV) or a Dependants' Visa, we accept a range of tests as proof of your language level, including IELTS – view more details of English language equivalencies.
View our visa information page for information about which visa option is most suitable for you.
We can consider applications from students who are not progressing to an academic programme at the University of Nottingham, but you must be able to provide evidence of a valid and verifiable offer of academic study at a different UK higher education institution.
If you complete any aspect of University of Nottingham registration after an offer has been made to you for presessional study, you may be liable for part or full fees for that course. Please refer to the tuition fees regulations for details.