School of Education
Centre for English Language Education

Presessional English for Academic Purposes (PEAP)

PEAP courses

Our Presessional English for Academic Purposes (PEAP) courses are designed to bring your academic and language skills up to the required level, so you can study an undergraduate or postgraduate degree, either at The University of Nottingham or another UK university.

Our presessional courses are offered for study face-to-face here in Nottingham or as online distance learning courses, and are suitable for foundation, undergraduate and postgraduate taught and research students.


Our PEAP courses:

  • provide you with a high-quality learning experience at a global top 100 university
  • allow you to enter your chosen undergraduate or postgraduate programme here at the University of Nottingham once you have successfully passed the course (please contact CELE for details of courses that have additional entry requirements)
  • develop your study skills by working on authentic academic tasks, so that you are prepared for the demands of UK Higher Education
  • allow you to practise and improve your English in a genuine academic context, with a focus on integrated reading, writing, listening and speaking
  • guide you through the process of producing academic texts, with extensive feedback from your tutors
  • help you to create a network of friends and establish you as a valued member of our student community
  • enable you to gain experience of living and studying in the UK, before beginning your degree
  • give you access to our extensive facilities and support services

Please note

You will need to provide evidence of your English language level to study on our courses.

If you are unable to take an IELTS test while coronavirus restrictions are in place, we will accept alternative qualifications for entry to presessional English courses starting in January, April, June, July and August 2021.

Please note that if you study on campus in Nottingham, you must have a SELT recognised qualification to be eligible to apply for a visa to enter the UK.

If you are studying your presessional course online, we will accept non-SELT recognised qualifications. You will not be issued with a CAS until you have successfully completed your CELE course and you cannot therefore apply for a visa or make travel arrangements until your CAS is issued.

We also offer courses for students who are not progressing to academic studies at the University of Nottingham, and in this case alternative qualifications may be considered. Please contact us for details. 

Centre for English Language Education

Presessional enquiries
Insessional enquiries

School of Education
Dearing Building
Jubilee Campus, Wollaton Road
Nottingham NG8 1BB